• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ExtendScript Debugger. - no response on clicking 'Select the. target application'

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS catalina. VSCode 1.47.3.ExtendScript Debugger 1.1.2.

Nothing happens when I click on 'Select the target Application' in the status bar.

The following message appears in the Log(Window).

[2020-08-09 03:03:04.633] [renderer1] [error] An unknown error occurred. Please consult the log for more details.

Where to go from here?
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ExtendScript is a 32-bit app and wont run on Catalina . The alternative is Visual Studio running the ExtendScript Debugger extension.

https://medium.com/adobetech/extendscript-debugger-for-visual-studio-code-public-release-a2ff6161fa0...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but VSCode and ExtendScript **Debugger** which is what I am using are 64bit apps and purported to run on Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I read too fast and missed the VS part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I havenā€˜t used Visual Studio that much, so maybe someone else will jump in. If you are just starting try restarting after you install the ExtendScript Extension, and maybe uninstall the 32-bit ExtendScript Toolkit app if it is still in your Application folder. Before debugging save your .js file in a work folder. Also make sure you choose an engine (main) and language as well as the target application:

Screen Shot 24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestions.  

I have never run ESTK on this computer.

I have tried manually setting "targetspecifier" and have used a number of different guesses, but each time I get an alert window

with the following message: 

TypeError: Cannot read property 'label' of undefined

As I said, I have tried a number of guesses.  Examples,  "acrobat-20.064""/Applications/Adobe Acrobat DC/Adobe Acrobat.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeAcrobat", "acrobat-2020.009.20074"

If anyone has any suggestions for what to try for Acrobat Pro DC,  I would love to give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is output I get when I specify a "targetspecifier" before the undefined error.

Starting /Users/rdp/JSProjects/MedicareDebugg/code.js in target: acrobat-20.064 and engine: main.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your code is for Acrobat might be better to ask in the Acrobat forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no forum for Adobe ExtendScript Debugger.

I posted here because this forum seems to have the most interest in this product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant the Acrobat forum where there are Acrobat JavaScript threads.

Adobe Acrobat isnā€™t listed as a target application in my Visual Studio Code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've been unable to get the ExtendScript Debugger working either, with the exact same symptoms, clicking "Select the target application" does nothing. Filling in targetSpecifier results in a panel appearing saying target application isn't running, start it: yes, then a dialog saying "TypeError: Cannot read property 'label' of undefined" 

I'm writing a script for Photoshop and not Acrobat, this is a specific ExtendScript VSCode extension issue. Where is the support forum for that?  Saying to go to an app specific forum is pointless as I'm not even getting that far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines