• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extra space between pages in document

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 146-page document in InDesign (facing pages), and there is a large gap in two instances between the spreads  -- one gap larger than the other. I'm using current version of INDD on a Mac. I have to create a combined page PDF for client of all pages and don't know if this will carry over to the pdf made from these pages in INDD.

I'm sure I inadvertently did this but I don't know what I did. All of sudden, this space.

Thanks for your help!

Jackie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

I fixed this by doing the following:

1. Go to the pages panel and highlight the spread in front of the gap
  2. Insert two pages immediately after the spread in front of the gap: the spread should appear immediately after the gap
  3. Select all from the spread in front of the gap and paste in place on the new spread
  4. Delete the original spread in front of the gap

Has something to do with an object being dragged to close to the edge of the pasteboard between spreads - but it can't be selected/deleted from either

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is usually the result of something at the edge of the pasteboard. It should not carry over, but if you want it gone, drag around all the content of the two pages on the spread and copy.

Delete the two pages, and add two new pages. Then paste in place to put your content back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! this has been an issue on and off for a year now. So nice to have it solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it occurred for me when I was dragging an article out of a library. I pulled it right onto the page but somehow it ended up right on the edge of a long, long bottom gap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nailed it! I had a rogue logo going off the pasteboard. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jackie,

I'm guessing here as to what's happening. Can we see a screenshot of one of the spreads with a gap?

Did you start this layout using an earlier version of InDesign?

If so, it's possible that you unintentionally moved pages with the Page tool (Shift + P).

Select the Page tool and click on a Page that is out of position. Drag it toward the other half of the spread until the pages snap together.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very likely caused by Page Tool because I kept getting it when reaching for Black Arrow. This i screenshot.Screenshot 2016-07-26 13.18.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't tell much from the Screenshot. Zoomed out too far.

Did you try moving the out-of-position pages with the Page tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like zooming out too far actually helped resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, maybe this one will be more helpful.

Tried grabbing and moving upward but it snapped back as it is. Grabbed each page individually. Not sure how to do them together with Page tool. It is a facing page doc as is probably evident.

Screenshot 2016-07-26 13.18.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have something trapped right on the edge of the pasteboard at the bottom on the right hand side. Usually copying and pasting  large items or multiple items larger than you document size this can happen. Delete this and the pasteboard will snap back. This can happen with guides too.

Screenshot+2016-07-26+13.54.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, grabbed one. Here is closer view screenshot.Screenshot 2016-07-26 13.54.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wrong about the Page tool.

Are you talking about the space between spreads vertically.

It's possible your document is getting corrupted.

Go to File > Save As and choose IDML as the format.

Reopen the IDML in InDesign and see if that helps! This will usually fix corrupted documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Susan seems to be right! [again!] 

Capture dā€™Ć©cran 2016-07-26 Ć  23.28.15.png

I can do worse!    ā€¦ I've never said it's why the op has a problem! I've just replicated it!

Capture dā€™Ć©cran 2016-07-26 Ć  23.50.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Susan would be SJ Riegel? Meaning the prob is stuff on the edges of the pasteboard? Which there is.

Happier thought than corruption anyways, but good to know what to do in case.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enlarge the pasteboard and search Tom Thumb's little rocks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed this by doing the following:

1. Go to the pages panel and highlight the spread in front of the gap
  2. Insert two pages immediately after the spread in front of the gap: the spread should appear immediately after the gap
  3. Select all from the spread in front of the gap and paste in place on the new spread
  4. Delete the original spread in front of the gap

Has something to do with an object being dragged to close to the edge of the pasteboard between spreads - but it can't be selected/deleted from either.

Best of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the correct answer. Thank you for helping me with this. The issue I had all along is that there was some item in a table on one of my speads that must have taken up that massive gap between spreads that I couldn't see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines