Highlighted

eyedropper tool not picking up color (InDesign) - LOCKED

May 04, 2009

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to pick up color from an image using the eyedropper tool.

But it only will pick up white as a color and fill the other object with white, and not the actual pixel color I am trying to grab.

This doesn't always happen but I can't figure out why it is happening in this instance.

Thanks!

Kim

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by BarbBinder | Adobe Community Professional

I have CS6 installed and the eyedropper is working as expected.

What operating system are you using? Is CS6 supported on it? If you are on an unsupported OS, then that could be the issue.

• WIN: Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 3 or Windows 7 with Service Pack 1. Adobe® Creative Suite® 5.5 and CS6 applications also support Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. See the CS6 FAQ for more information about Windows 8 support.*
  • Mac: Mac OS X v10.6.8 or v10.7. Adobe Creative Suite 5, CS5.5, and CS6 applications support Mac OS X v10.8 or v10.9 when installed on Intel-based systems.**

Did you read this whole post? Reasons for it not appearing to work on any version include:

• Clicking on a empty frame that is above the object you think you are clicking on (try bringing your object to the front)
  • Having already clicked the Eyedropper once, and forgetting to Alt/Opt click for additional attempts
  • Disabling one or more checkmarks in Eyedropper Options (visible when you double click the Eyedropper tool in the Toolbox.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
This conversation has been locked.

eyedropper tool not picking up color (InDesign) - LOCKED

May 04, 2009

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to pick up color from an image using the eyedropper tool.

But it only will pick up white as a color and fill the other object with white, and not the actual pixel color I am trying to grab.

This doesn't always happen but I can't figure out why it is happening in this instance.

Thanks!

Kim

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by BarbBinder | Adobe Community Professional

I have CS6 installed and the eyedropper is working as expected.

What operating system are you using? Is CS6 supported on it? If you are on an unsupported OS, then that could be the issue.

• WIN: Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 3 or Windows 7 with Service Pack 1. Adobe® Creative Suite® 5.5 and CS6 applications also support Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. See the CS6 FAQ for more information about Windows 8 support.*
  • Mac: Mac OS X v10.6.8 or v10.7. Adobe Creative Suite 5, CS5.5, and CS6 applications support Mac OS X v10.8 or v10.9 when installed on Intel-based systems.**

Did you read this whole post? Reasons for it not appearing to work on any version include:

• Clicking on a empty frame that is above the object you think you are clicking on (try bringing your object to the front)
  • Having already clicked the Eyedropper once, and forgetting to Alt/Opt click for additional attempts
  • Disabling one or more checkmarks in Eyedropper Options (visible when you double click the Eyedropper tool in the Toolbox.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 06, 2009

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

Does anyone happen to know this? I have been going crazy trying to figure out why on every image of my document the eyedropper tool does not pick up any color - only white.

Please help - thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 06, 2009

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Double click the Eyedropper tool and make sure everything is selected on the check boxes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2009

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I did that and every single option is selected.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2009

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure there is nothing above the image.

Make sure that the image is not locked (which i don't think makes a difference)

Two things to try if something isn't working

Reset your preferences - Hold down Shift Alt Ctrl (CMD) when starting indesign

or if that does not work

On your file File>Export and choose Indesign interchange (.inx)

Open the .inx file in indesign and do a Save as to save it as an indesign file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 24, 2015

Copy to clipboard

Copied

i dont know

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2011

Copy to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me as well. Sometimes it works fine, other times it just seems to change the type to nothing, although there still seems to be something to select. It's driving me nuts and doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2011

Copy to clipboard

Copied

There is most likely something above the color you are trying to pick up. It could be the empty bottom of a text box, or the edge of a picture box. Check in the layers pallet and turn off everything about your target object, then try again.

3 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2011

Copy to clipboard

Copied

It's just text though - I do it the same every time and some days it works, some days it doesn't. Sometimes if I restart it works again. Seems like a bug to me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2011

Copy to clipboard

Copied

What color mode is the image? Eyedropper won't sample grayscale or duotone mode images.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2011

Copy to clipboard

Copied

It's not an image, I'm just trying to copy one style of text to some other text. It's just cmyk.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 13, 2013

Copy to clipboard

Copied

If you have a layer  above what you're trying to sample, even if it locked, it's sampling that. Try hiding the layer.

2 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines