Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

eyedropper tool not picking up color (InDesign) - LOCKED

Explorer ,
May 04, 2009 May 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to pick up color from an image using the eyedropper tool.

But it only will pick up white as a color and fill the other object with white, and not the actual pixel color I am trying to grab.

This doesn't always happen but I can't figure out why it is happening in this instance.

Thanks!

Kim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

I have CS6 installed and the eyedropper is working as expected.

What operating system are you using? Is CS6 supported on it? If you are on an unsupported OS, then that could be the issue.

• WIN: Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 3 or Windows 7 with Service Pack 1. Adobe® Creative Suite® 5.5 and CS6 applications also support Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. See the CS6 FAQ for more information about Windows 8 support.*
  • Mac: Mac OS X v10.6.8 or v10.7. Adobe Creative Suite 5, CS5.5, and CS6 application

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In ADOBE EDGE eyedropper works ONLY on main stage, not inside symbol (very convenient isn't it?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the sample size. It needs to be point sample in the drop down menu. In Photoshop anyway. Hope that helps. It resolved it for me Thank you.@angiesing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're in the InDesign forum. ID doesn't have a sample size for its Eyedropper tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies thanks for clarifying Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem in Illustrator. Eyedropper options box is a little buggy. Appearance was checked, which should mean that all appearance settings are being picked, but when I twirled it open, there were unchecked boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tikosar this is the InDesign forum. You'll want to post that question (if it is a question) on the Illustrator forum.
Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry if I broke the rules. Google brought me here by "Illustrator" keyword. I thought my answer might be useful for those looking for the answer to the question applied to Illustrator, as well as also be applicable to InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't stress it. I was brought here because I searched for Flash(Animate) as a keyword. Adobe is having some major problems lately with their entire creative suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't stress it. I was brought here because I searched for Flash(Animate) as a keyword. Adobe is having some major problems lately with their entire creative suite.

Care to clarify that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which part, Bob?  I've had nothing but trouble with the entire suite since I've upgraded to the recent release. From Animate, to Illustrator, to AE, to Photoshop.  You name it.  I'm on the Beta for a few products and am seeing little progress on the issues I've been seeing.

Simple things like manipulating grouped objects are impossible (see some of my posts) to simply using the eyedropper.  I'm not mentioning the random crashes without an error being thrown.  I can go on.  This is coming from a loyal customer since Macromedia Flash 4 to today.

To be fair, I don't deal with inDesign on a regular basis, so I can't speak to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said Adobe is having major problems. It sounds like YOU are having major problems.

Are things perfect? No, they are not. I have plenty of complaints myself about certain things, but your statement has nothing to back it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eh, no.  I have an entire office of people having problems.  Some are deadline breaking problems.  Adobe needs to get it together. 

Like I said, I've been working with the software for 16+ years. It's not something new for me and the team.   I get it, new release, new issues.  But some of these bugs are inexcusable.  Things like this: Group Issue - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I've just had the same problem and for me I solved it by making sure when selecting the colour with the pipette make sure sample size is on:  point sample and the sample drop down box says: all layers

Hope this fixes it x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jennyr49706109 wrote:

I've just had the same problem and for me I solved it by making sure when selecting the colour with the pipette make sure sample size is on: point sample and the sample drop down box says: all layers.

Hope this fixes it x

Jenny, once again—this is the InDesign forum, and InDesign does not have a point sample or an all layers dropdown. Photoshop does. The eye dropper behaves differently in different programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i had the same problem. i investigated the settings and it turns out i didn't set the Sample to "All Layers". it was set for "Current layer" thats why it dont pick color sample from you entire page because it was only set to a certain area where your current layer was. hope this helps. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mikron—this is the InDesign forum, and the subject line specifies InDesign in parentheses. It's very easy to get into the wrong forum, but for clarification InDesign doesn't offer the feature you are showing in your Photoshop screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb, I had the same problem, and I opened up Photoshop, and played around with the Eyedropper tool, and I felt better, somehow.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still make me laugh out loud, Mike, after all these years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hahaha, Mike!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution for this? I keep running into this issue often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Colorado Dream House, Are you having this problem in InDesign? If so, which version? What are you trying to sample?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! I am unable to use the eyedropper tool on cc 2017. I am unable to match colors from images or rectangle boxes. I figured it was something new with the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience, it's working just fine in current versions. Double click on the Eyedropper tool to make sure all of the options are enabled (my shot is only showing the top level checkmarks, open the triangles to check the 2nd levels). Be sure the object you are trying to sample from isn't locked, and isn't behind an empty frame.

InDesign CCss_003.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem suddenly when selecting and change type formatting with the eyedropper tool (it wasn't a problem until recently). I finally fixed it by making sure all the text boxes are BROUGHT TO FRONT (Arrange->Bring to Front). That solved it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and isn't behind an empty frame.

That's a common issue, Justin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines