Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Failed to open the pdf file

Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

My indesign acts a bit weird with some pdf files. If I want to insert a pdf file I get following error: "failed to open the pdf file". It works on another computer so I really don't know what the problem could be. This is what I've already tried:

- removing the creative suite and installing it again: doesn't work

- placing the pdf file and opening the options: doesn't work.

Hopefully one of you guys can help me.

Regards!

Daniëlle

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Problem solved!

I found my answer on: pdf Failed to open error...

"

I had been going around in circles trying to resolve exactly this issue but I think I can say that I have found the cause of the problem and can (I think) say SOLVED !

Having prviously amended the 'Show Import Options' on another job, they appear to have remained as the default when opening subsequent jobs.

For example in my case the previous job was set to crop to 'trim', however  on the PDF I was trying to place this was a greyed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try opening the PDF files in Acrobat and ascertain that there is no protections applied to the PDF file. Look under Document Properties => Security. If there are any restrictions, you will likely have problems placing the PDF into an InDesign documents. You would need to remove such protections.

Alternatively, if the PDF file is really a PDF form created by LiveCycle Designer, i.e., an XFA form, it cannot be directly placed into an InDesign document.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,

There is no security on the PDF file and it can be opened by all versions of acrobat, so it says in the document properties.

How do I know if the PDF file is created by LifeCycle Designer? It is a drawing from Autocad. I both tested it with dwg-to-pdr and adobe pdf. Nothing works. Except on the computer of my college.

Now I tried updating my windows but still nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You aren’t expected to open a PDF in InDesign but it should Place. What exactly happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what i'm doing . I've tried Place and draging it into the document, both not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved!

I found my answer on: pdf Failed to open error...

"

I had been going around in circles trying to resolve exactly this issue but I think I can say that I have found the cause of the problem and can (I think) say SOLVED !

Having prviously amended the 'Show Import Options' on another job, they appear to have remained as the default when opening subsequent jobs.

For example in my case the previous job was set to crop to 'trim', however  on the PDF I was trying to place this was a greyed-out option as there were no trim marks on the document.

So quite simply choose  'Show Import Options' and then make sure you chose a valid (black text) crop option from the drop down menu.

Good luck! (Let me know if this works for you)

"

Thanks for helping!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above solution didn't work for me, but I landed on another method that did work for me

1. Save the Excel table/chart you're having problems with as a PDF.

2. Open the PDF in Acrobat Pro DC.

3. From the File menu, export the table/chart to Encapsulated Postscript.

4. Close the PDF.

5. Double-click to open the .eps file. It should (or at least it did for me, on my Mac) open with a .pdf extension.

6. Save it. Because it had that .pdf extension, it will save as a .pdf — should be fine to save it over your original PDF.

7. Try again to import in InDesign. It should work.  It did for me, both charts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks yksin, it works!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you yksin, this resolved my issue.

I had exported a Powerpoint PDF slide and ran into this error but exporting as EPS in Acrobat allowed me to place the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! This worked for me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you access 'Show Import Options' ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Command D  - Control D -  it is on the popup window

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

my indesign was working fine yesterday but today i open the indesign file and can't place (CTRL+D) any PDF files. Error when I try to select PDF file, then indesign program is closed. Help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines