• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Faint lines around images in exported pdf

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to export my final version of a book for printing, but it always has these faint gray lines around some of the images. I dragged all images from Photoshop and none of the images have colored frames. Some of the gray lines seem to line up with the image frames (in pink), but others seem a little more random. I have already merged all the images into one layer, the text in another, and a white page to kick up the ppi to 300 (which I made in photoshop). The lines appear regardless of the quality at which I export. Will these show up in my printing? What should I do? 

Oberious_1-1591325878700.png

Oberious_0-1591325849943.png

TOPICS
Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say you "dragged all images from Photoshop," what do you mean? Did you import the images into InDesign with File>Place? Also, when you export to PDF, are you using a preset, and are you flattening transparency?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I say dragged, I mean that I have a folder with a bunch of sprites that are drawn in Photoshop that I click on and physically drag into InDesign and drop in a blank space on the page. I don't open the file. I just click on the icon in the folder and drag. I used this preset:

Oberious_0-1591326929461.png

I have been getting this error message after I click export (because you mentioned transparency).

Oberious_1-1591326988456.png

You might be right about it being a preset issue because when I export as smallest possible size, there are no lines. The instructional video I watched for increasing ppi said to use the preset shown above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first thought from what I saw in your screen shot was that you are seeing transparency-flattening artifacts. If you don't flatten transparency, it won't have the artifacts. The PDF/X-1a preset was the industry standard many years ago, so the video you saw might have been made back then. These days, most advise to use PDF/X-4, so you could try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using the 2008 X-4 preset (see below), the lines disappear, but the trick I was using to increase PPI to 300 stops working. Is there another way to increase PPI? All sources I found use the same method of transparency flattening (the thing that seems to be causing the original problem). 

Oberious_0-1591381799086.png

https://indesignsecrets.com/raise-image-resolution-directly-in-indesign.php

Oberious_0-1591380511302.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines