Highlighted

Faint lines showing up in In/Design after placing Word document. How do I get rid of them?

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 'placing' a Word document in InDesign CS5, faint lines are showing up on almost every page of the InDesign file.  No lines are in Word document. Lines show up and print after exporting to a print quality PDF.  How do I get rid of these lines in the InDesign file?

TOPICS
Import and export, Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Faint lines showing up in In/Design after placing Word document. How do I get rid of them?

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 'placing' a Word document in InDesign CS5, faint lines are showing up on almost every page of the InDesign file.  No lines are in Word document. Lines show up and print after exporting to a print quality PDF.  How do I get rid of these lines in the InDesign file?

TOPICS
Import and export, Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 05, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the Word doc has paragraph styles (or character styles) applied to the text that call for underlining? Or maybe your character style or attribute for underlining was active when you placed the Word doc? Do your paragraph styles show a + sign on the affected text?

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll check that but it's not like the text is underlined. On some pages the first line has a line under it (but really, really close to the text) and then the next paragraph only a line in the middle of the text has a line.  InDesign doesn't recognize that aniy of the text is underlined.  If they didn't print, I wouldn't worry about them, but they do print.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like last line in every paragragh is underlined. In checking the paragraph style selected is Default but there is a + sign. I don't see anything about underlining text but if I select a different style, ie Normal, the line disappears.  Looks like I'll have to change every paragraph from this messed up Default style to Normal to get rid of the lines.  Tedious - there are over 300 pages affected - but at least it's a way to get rid of this annoying formatting.  Thanks for your help and for responding so quickly.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like I'll have to change every paragraph from this messed up Default style to Normal to get rid of the lines.  Tedious - there are over 300 pages affected

It does not have to be tedious. In Find/Change, use the Find Format/Change Format fields to put your old and new formats in, and put nothing in the Find/Change text fields. Change all will then replace the fomatting of any parpagraphs with the Default style to the Normal style.

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 1.48.51 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like Paragraph Rules Above or Below (or both!).

Check for a single paragraph, and if this is the case, just select all text and call up the Paragraph Rules dialog to switch them globally off.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of thoughts:

On long documents with lots of text, always control the text with well-described paragraph styles. Otherwise it takes forever to tweak and adjust and edit things.

But also:

Never use the invasive Normal paragraph style from Word.

Never use InDesign's Basic Paragraph Style.

Never (or rarely) allow one style to be based on another style. Especially Basic Paragraph Style or Normal style. Choose No Paragraph Style most of the time in the Based On drop down choice..

Make sure to use character styles for attributes like Bold, Italic, and other occasional attributes within the paragraph of typesetting.

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0