• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feature request: Vertical Insert Space

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back in the day when I set type on a Compugraphic terminal (late 1980s), it had the most wonderful function....Vertical insert Space...that would add any remaining space in a given column at the spot where the VIS tag was inserted.

Best part, if you had a column with several sections of copy (even if each section had multiple paragraph breaks), you could use the VIS tag in multiple spots to distribute the excess space only where you wanted to and it would dynamically change as your sections of copy increased or decreased.

It worked much like a "shift-tab" does on a horizontal basis, except you could use it multiple times and it would distribute the excess psace equally.

I know I can Align Justify in my Vertical Justification settings, and set the  Paragraph Spacing Limit to a large number, but if I have multiple paragraphs within each section of type in a column, I have to mess around with either space after/before or leadings to create equal spacings between sections of type.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forum, unfortunately, is not the best place to post feature requests. You should post in the InDesign User Voice website. That site is read regularly by product managers and engineers, and users can vote for feaure requests which sometimes are adopted.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

If you search for "vertical", you'll see there are already several suggestions there (already voted on) like this one for an Enhanced Full Vertical Justification Feature":

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/37511794-en...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the breach of etiquette.  I'll take a look over there. Might not want to include a "feature request" tag if feature requests are not recommended here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not so much a breach of etiquette, and a waste of your time! The product managers who make decisions about what new features to build don't have time to read through the mish-mash of content in the forums. Over there, they can get clearer information and see how many people really want feature requests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi richh26940153,

I would do a new feature request and advertise it by posting the URL here.

Provide details by using screenshots. Also make clear that the feature should contain controls for text frame columns where the values can be set individually or invent a new, fresh view, maybe auto controls that work with the text itself.

Thanks for bringing this up!

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines