• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Figure caption appears to be in different flow

Engaged ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apparently have created a figure caption that is in a frame other than my body copy... How to fix?

(using ID 15.1.1 win10 v1909)

In the process of refreshing last year's document with this year's screen shots, I created a revised image and put it into an anchored frame. The figure caption correctly autonumbered as Figure 2. It appears in the correct place in the WYSIWYG layout. However, in the generated Table of Figures, Figure 2 appears after Figure 5 and before Figure 6 (there are about 30 captioned images). The document mixes grouped images in anchored frames and images placed into tables, and I understand this may affect order. However, there are other anchored frames that I've revised in this doc, but none of the others is out of order.

Here is why I think the caption is in the wrong text flow.

When I look at the text in the Story Editor, I see the anchor for the frame right where I expect to find it, but I don't see the Figure number and caption. Here is the anchor:

ques_anchor.png

A search for the text of the caption doesn't find the caption in the Story Editor, but when I highlight the text of the numbered figure and press Control-Y (to display that specific text), up it comes all by its lonesome in the Story Editor:

ques_lonely_caption.png

As a test, I looked for another anchored frame (with figure) that worked correctly, and found this:

ques_fig_6.png

That happens to be in a table -- but it's still an anchored frame.

So... What did I do wrong (so that I can prevent it from happening in the future) and how do I fix it?

As always, thanks to the community for any help.

-j

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you anchor to a textflow, an story, several grouped  objects (pictures) and captions, they appear as icons in their correct placement in the Story editor open with the cursor in the main texflow.

BUT the caption text will not be there, as it is a separate story (the text frame is not hreaded to any other). You have to place the cursor inside it to open its own (separate) story editor for that text.

Does the caption text uses a numbered paragraph style?, then the numbers update to reflect their succesive position, the anchor icon, inside the text flow. Place them further down or up on all the numbers will reorganize to match those relative positions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have not gotten a response to my question that solves the issue or points me to a solution. (C'est la vie.) The brute force solution is to review the Table of Figures in the Table of Contents after I compile it, and if any numbers are out of order, cut-and-paste them into the right place (their page numbers are accurate, they're just in the wrong numerical order).

To clarify, there is a series of a single numbered paragraph style, autonumbered figures. On the pages of the document, they appear in the correct numerical order. I'm revising a document completed in the past, and adding new figures and deleting others.Yet, they still appear in the correct numerical order on the page. Some figures are in anchored frames, some are in tables. All have the same style figure number. But still: they appear in the correct order and correct number on the page. However, when the TOC/TOF is compiled, one or more numbers may be out of sequence in the list. They don't appear at the end of the list; they're just out of sequence somewhere in the middle -- often 3 or 5 numbers away from where they should be. They can occur anywhere in the list.

As I say, brute force is to cut-and-paste them where they belong in the TOF. That's a work-around, however, not a solution. Still looking for an explanation and a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines