Highlighted

File wont open due to crash report

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing I can do will work. I need to get my dissertation report ready for august! Can anyone help?

Each time I try to open it doesn't work and I have tried a lot of different things.

Please help 🙂

Hi Angus:

I also experienced a crash when trying to open the file. This is why it is important to have incremental back-ups. Any file can become corrupt over time. If you don't have a back-up, you can work through this document:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html

Note the final section has an email address to send the file for review: "If no resolution works, share the affected file with us at idfile@adobe.com. We'll investigate the issue and let you know if the recovery is possible." I believe Adobe USA is closed for the week, so you might not hear back for a week or so.

There is also a commercial service that may be able to recover the file. https://markzware.com/products/file-recovery-service/

Once you regain access to the file, please be sure to make regular backups. Now you can see why it is so important. 

~Barb 

Topics

Bug, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

File wont open due to crash report

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing I can do will work. I need to get my dissertation report ready for august! Can anyone help?

Each time I try to open it doesn't work and I have tried a lot of different things.

Please help 🙂

Hi Angus:

I also experienced a crash when trying to open the file. This is why it is important to have incremental back-ups. Any file can become corrupt over time. If you don't have a back-up, you can work through this document:

Note the final section has an email address to send the file for review: "If no resolution works, share the affected file with us at idfile@adobe.com. We'll investigate the issue and let you know if the recovery is possible." I believe Adobe USA is closed for the week, so you might not hear back for a week or so.

There is also a commercial service that may be able to recover the file. https://markzware.com/products/file-recovery-service/

Once you regain access to the file, please be sure to make regular backups. Now you can see why it is so important. 

~Barb 

Topics

Bug, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Angus:

~Barb 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Thank you for your reply. I did back up the document and have 3 copies from different times.

They all do the same thing when I try to open them. It just generates a crash report. I have also emailed the Idfile@adobe.com email address you provided 2 days ago and will wait for a reply. The document opens briefly and then stalls and then crashes. I can see all the content is still there but no actions can be taken while the document loads / before it crashes.

I hope a solution can be found.

Do you know if the Markzware software actually works? I have not managed to find many reviews?

I have the pdf of the report which could maybe be used to generate another indd file but I am not sure how to do it myself.

Thanks for your help.

Angus

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Angus,

also tried to open your attached document using InDesign 2020 on Windows 10.

InDesign crashed.

Then I tried to open the file without a layout window by scripting and to export that opened file as IDML.

Also this did not work: InDesign opened the file, yes, but directly after the export began, InDesign crashed and the IDML file was left with 1 KB size only.

Sorry.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe.

Do you think the file is ruined then? Do you think anything can recovery the file?

Thank you so much for checking!

Kind regards 

Angus

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Angus,

I have no idea if this file can be converted to something reasonable.

Because I could open the document in the first place, the exported IDML file is showing this, I could imagine that the developers can do something about it. But that's all guesswork.

FWIW: For all who are interested in the scripting side when I tried to open the document without layout window:

I set the second argument of app.open() to false. Also changed enableRedraw of the app.scriptPreferences to false and userInteractionLevel to UserInteractionLevels.NEVER_INTERACT. Seems it did not help much…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines