Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Files with videos

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've done a presntations with videos (almost like a portfolio presentation), but every file format seems to have it's cons.

I was wondering if anyone has found something that works well.

My issue is when sending stuff to clients they always seem to not be able to open the files or have some sort of problem.

-I have tried .EPUB (fixed layout) works well for me, however a few clients can't open it, and to some it opens as a spread rather than a single page (our presentations are single page, and this disrupts the layout, so its not ideal)

-Interactive PDF works, but normally only if opened with Acrobat, and tends to have issues with the video continuing playing after the page is left (this seems to be from the 2020 update of inesign, as the media options no longer have the pdf options, maybe i'm missing something, but regardless PDF seems to not work for some clients)

-lastly i've also used the online publishing feature, works relly well unfortunatly some clients require an actual file that they can save on a usb for their personal usage within their company.

I wonder if there is somthing more I could do, I feel like i've tried so many diferent things and have yet found something my clients are happy with; as they require files with videos and everything that i'm fine with they seem to struggle, so is there anything that would work seamlessly on all platforms?

Apologies for the long post, would love to hear any opinions on the subject of having video imbeded on files.

Thank you,

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

There's no perfect solution -- each format has its advantages (features) and disadvantages. Videos are  particularly difficult as they tend to be large. You could look at InDesign's Publish Online, which can include multi-media, but the recipient has to be online to view them. Another option might be in5, which uses HTML5 from InDesign and can be a stand-alone document, but you have to buy the plug-in and learn it. The only realistic way to use video with PDF is by having hyperlinks to YouTube o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no perfect solution -- each format has its advantages (features) and disadvantages. Videos are  particularly difficult as they tend to be large. You could look at InDesign's Publish Online, which can include multi-media, but the recipient has to be online to view them. Another option might be in5, which uses HTML5 from InDesign and can be a stand-alone document, but you have to buy the plug-in and learn it. The only realistic way to use video with PDF is by having hyperlinks to YouTube or similar, but again, you need to be online, which may or may not be important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to create presentations that are going to be universally accepted I highly recommend that you use Powerpoint.

That may sound like heresy around here, but multimedia is going to present a problem in just about any other format that requires specific reader apps or even operating systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> -I have tried .EPUB (fixed layout) works well for me, however a few clients can't open it

Why don't write to them that needs to have Adobe Digital Edition (or another reader that you're used to test)? If them want to use it something alternative - this is their problem. You can't cover all available readers. 

>> I highly recommend that you use Powerpoint.

Bugged soft of all the years for the school pupils, IMHO. Main problem of all MS toys that .ppt can be opened in the same OS, same version of Office and all updates are equal and it will be looks differently. That's why many seminar-speakers used to show .ppt on their own notebooks.  

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Digital Editions is absolute trash for fixed layout epub!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello BobLevine,
I'm new to the discussion so sorry if I intrude, but are there more appropriate epub fixed's readers that work correctly for both ios and android mobile devices?

I use lithium on android and ibooks on apple device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You clearly have not used Powerpoint in many years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I has done decades of kilometers of this "presentations" in student years and know what I say,  + I lose a count of situations when I see seminar speakers with usb-flash and not their PC with problems in this .ppt and don't wanna repeat my youth problems because see it on these days too. This is  life. Умные учатся на чужих ошибках, дураки на своих (а тут оба варианта). Yes, powerpoint have some features that can be done faster than in InDesign, but this is not my way. 

>> Adobe Digital Editions is absolute trash for fixed layout epub!

Never mind, read all words in my post:

>> or another reader that you're used to test

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There does not exist a decent fixed layout epub reader besides the Books app on Mac or iOS. There's nothing on Windows or Android.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Utopian pattern of behavior. Whoever's looking for — will always find what he wants. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So as you can see D Martins, it's a difficult area to choice. Looking again at your requirements, I think that, if you have the budget and you need to produce these kinds of presentations regularly, then in5 might be the answer. The output is HTML5 and will play on any device with an HTML5 browser - computer, tablet or smartphones, PC or Mac,  and users don't need to be online to play the presentations.

https://ajarproductions.com/pages/products/in5/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love in5 but it should be noted that just exporting out HTML will not work on iPads. You need a real app or a web app.

The issue with web apps is that without a live web connection, there are issues because iOS only allows about 32 megabytes to be fully cached. A real app requires a developer account and it has to go through the app store.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines