• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fill cells in table based on one color

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've many tables in InDesign. The table cells are shaded alternating. There is a border in darker color.

Is it possible to set a base color for a whole table once and color the cells and borders based on this color automatically? Or do I have to create a cell style / table style for each used color individually?

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

I would set this table up using nested styles:

1. Create two paragrapah styles: one for the heading row and the body rows.
  2. Create two cell styles:
    1. One for the heading row with the dark green background, and nest the paragraph style for the heading row.
    2. One for the body rows without a background color that nests the paragraph style for the body rows. 
  3. Create a table style for the entire table to define the border around the outside, and alternate the body row shading. Nest the cell styles in the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Is it possible to set a base color for a whole table once and color the cells and borders based on this color automatically?

By @konradSL

My apologies, I missed that part of the question. To clarify, InDesign does not allow you to set a base color for a table.

You would need a swatch for each table color, a separate cell style for each table header (I don't see the body cells as needing anything different), and a separate table style for each color to nest the individual header cell styl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you confirm the version of your software and operating system?

A screenshot would help understand your query better.

If you use alternating colouring of the cells, a base colour would not make sense, but you could adjust the alternating colours. 

I find that adding colours to the Table style, then cell styles... sometimes does not return the result I was expecting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use InDesign 16,1 x64 on Windows 10.

Something like this with different shades/transparencies of the base color:
2021-03-08 14_08_01-_TechnologyOverview-01.indd @ 400%.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would set this table up using nested styles:

1. Create two paragrapah styles: one for the heading row and the body rows.
  2. Create two cell styles:
    1. One for the heading row with the dark green background, and nest the paragraph style for the heading row.
    2. One for the body rows without a background color that nests the paragraph style for the body rows. 
  3. Create a table style for the entire table to define the border around the outside, and alternate the body row shading. Nest the cell styles in the table style.

Once set up, you can format the entire table with a single click. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Works fine for one table. But to color each table in another color, I do need to create n cell styles (one for each color) and therefore n table styles (one for each header style), don't I?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to set a base color for a whole table once and color the cells and borders based on this color automatically?

By @konradSL

My apologies, I missed that part of the question. To clarify, InDesign does not allow you to set a base color for a table.

You would need a swatch for each table color, a separate cell style for each table header (I don't see the body cells as needing anything different), and a separate table style for each color to nest the individual header cell styles and to control the alternating color. 

As a note, scripting and plug-ins can solve all sorts of dilemnas that InDesign can't handle natively. I'll add a scripting tag to your post to see if that helps. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Thats much more than I excpected 🙂
Even the cell styles are a big help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are always happy to help, @konradSL.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines