Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find & Replace with Data Merge

Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I try to do a very simple thing, but but but...

I would like to know EXACTLY how the tool is working :
I understood the basics, you take a term, and you change it in something else, okay, but "when" ? When you click on the button ? When you open your document ? What if you delete the request ?

For now, I just tried a simple thing : I put #test# in my Data Merge CSV file, and I want to transform it into THIS IS A TEST.

It should be easy, no ?

I put it in the Find & Replace tool, text mode : I select all possibilities (layers, documents, locked, etc...) nothing happen (the text box tell me : zero modification), I click on "replace all", nothing more, I try with GREP, same result.

I tried to save the request, same result...

Any idea ?

---

Know, I will explain what exactly I'm tring to do : I have some texts I would like to transform into "symbols", so I use a symbolic font (like "Hospital Icons" font), so if I put #CURE in my Data Merge CSV file, I want my InDesign file transforming into a @ symbol, it will be transformed into a CURE symbol.
In my head, it was easy, but the software dont like to be easy with me >.> ...
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Share your document so that we can have a look, by reading what you said it should work. However, as i said difficult to say what's wrong with this without having a look

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ho, it's not that complicated :

Create a new document InDesign, create a new CSV file (American format), link the CSV to the InDesgin file as a Data Merge, put some data inside, then in InDesign, try to Find & Replace a term that you placed in your CSV file : does it work for you ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Did a data merge and replaced stuff afterwards. Worked as expected.

So I assume it's something with your setup. Sharing your document might be necessary if you expect further help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set a GREP style for the text.

It will be plain text up to your symbol

Hospital Icons Font through 1 symbol

Apply this Paragraph Style with the GREP style to your line of text in the data merge.

https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/quick-tip-automatic-formatting-using-grep-styles-in-adobe-inde...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the data contains a unique phrase that you want to convert to an icon DURING a data merge of some sort, fair to say?

I wouldn't use find/replace at all as that will only work on a data merge file that has been merged to a long document, rather than the pre-merge document. Instead, I would use a technique from Daniel Solis (aka Card at work):

https://youtu.be/X5eTBrXRhyk

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so, it was alsmost the way I was doing it, with a small difference : I was choosing a Font, then I used to add an uncuttable space before then the character, for exemple " *" [ALT255*], then applying a GREP style on it.
It was not perfect because the uncuttable space is not always the same in all Font, so I had to replace the uncuttable space with a GREP >.> (GREP Style on a GREP Style, Inception/10).

On the link you show to me, it seems very interesting, but I didnt understand how the software understand that "xxPoint" was equal to a symbol, it's because of the "ligature" system ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed, I have to "force" the ligature on each style, it's working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines