• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find and Replace in Multiple Documents

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several hundred InDesign files containing an address that I must change. (We are moving our office to a new location.) Can this task be automated with a script?

I would classify myself as a mid-level InDesign user, but I have never done any scripting with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just posted the link in a neighbouring thread: Batch Find-Change by list script for batch processor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kasyan, I thank you for this. This looks like it would work, but it gets slightly beyond the edge of my knowledge envelope.

I think I understand the basics of the script and where to put my search and replace terms, but I don't understand how or where I run this script to process a lot of documents at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter Kahrel made a script called batch convert some time ago, and it's available from his website Free InDesign scripts | Peter Kahrel

This script points to a folder (and can include sub-folders) where the ID files are and then saves as PDF/ID/IDML etc, a full write-up of the script can be found here: https://indesignsecrets.com/creating-batch-pdfs.php

The bit that will interest you is half-way through that article, where you can run a script DURING that script. So what you would need to do is code the find/change portion, save it as a javascript, and then run the batch convert script, and make sure that you use the feature to run a script during the conversions (you can convert an ID file to an ID file, so it literally saves over the top of the file). I recently used this at work to change a website address and suburb name on 200+ business cards I had on file.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... but I don't understand how or where I run this script to process a lot of documents at once.

Download and install the scripts

03-10-2017 13-57-56.png

Put all your files into one folder, or into the 'root' folder with subfolders (the script supports any levels of nested folders).

03-10-2017 13-53-50.png

Run the batch processor and choose the settings

03-10-2017 13-59-39.png

The final report

03-10-2017 14-00-11.png

The processed files and original files (backups)

03-10-2017 14-01-41.png

Is that so difficult to do?

— Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...Is that so difficult to do?..."  I'm sure it is very easy, if you know how to do it and have done it before.

I have never done any scripting in InDesign. It's all new to me. And I am finding it to be a little over my head. However, I will dig into it and try to learn how to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never done any scripting in InDesign. It's all new to me. And I am finding it to be a little over my head.

You don't have to do any scripting: I've done it for you. Just use scripts: that's easy. The FindChangeByList.jsx script is installed with every copy of InDesign. Open it, or the FindChangeList.txt file, in a text editor and read the detailed instructions at top. My version works in the same way but with many files.

To make it easier for you, I recommend you to use the Record Find Change script written by Martin Fisher. It writes the current find/change preferences to a text file so that you can copy and /paste them into a find-change list file.

1. choose settings in the find-change dialog box
  2. check if they work as expected
  3. record the settings with the script
  4. copy-paste the line

Hope this helps.

— Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Kasyan.

When I said I had never done any scripting, I meant that I have never even USED a script when using InDesign. That's what I have to learn how to do with multiple documents.

I am going to be out of the office for the next couple of days. I will get back into this on Friday. I genuinely appreciate all the help you have given me. I'll figure it out somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link is not working can you repost? tyvm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The link is not working can you repost? tyvm

By @Lev5FFB

Here are the working links mentioned above:

Free InDesign scripts | Peter Kahrel

Batch Find-Change by list script for batch processor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines