• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find and Replace with Nested Styles

Enthusiast ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't usually bother with nesting styles, but I've got a textbook project with tricksy formatting, so I've made some basic folders to help corral the approximately one zillion styles I've got going on. But I've run into an oddity: I wanted to change a character style wherever it appeared in a certain nested paragraph style, so I selected both in the appropriate dialog box, but when I get back to the main find and replace dialog, it's got the folder name rather than the paragraph style name in the find field. When I temporarily pulled the style out of the folder, I was able to complete the search, but should that be necessary?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created and nested in groups a series of both Paragraph and Character Styles and I've had no problem selecting them within Nested Styles or Find/Change. I don't fully understand your problem. Could you elaborate a little more on your problem and/or post some screen captures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, here's an example.

Say I want to find instances of the italic character style in the Body Text -- Answers paragraph style, which is nested in the Body Text folder:

I make those selections in the dialog box:

But when I click OK, what shows up in the Find Format field is a search for Paragraph Style: Body Text:

And of course there isn't even a paragraph style named that, because a folder can't have the same name as a style.

Only when I drag Body Text -- Answers outside of that folder...

...does it show up correctly in the Find Format field:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are my results. Everything seems ok at my end but I can see what you are talking about with yours.

Have you checked to see if everything functions correctly? I suspect it might be and that that Find Format field has merely truncated the text. Your Paragraph Style and Group both start with the same text.

I think you might be ok.

styles.png

find-format.png

find-change.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It clearly just likes you better.

It does not work correctly. It finds 0 results (when I'm looking right at a result on the screen, which is of course why I wanted to do the find and replace to begin with.

Thanks for taking the time to give it a shot, Michael!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran another test at my end and it works perfectly. Maybe it doesn't like you

Have you tried this in another document? Might help you work out of the problem is with this particular file or with InDesign itself.

Hopefully someone else here will come up with a good suggestion.

For the record I'm using…

- InDesign CC 14.0.1

- macOS Mojave Version 10.14.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm...another find and replace oddity I've come across a couple of times tonight. All of the options in the dialog box are grayed out: I can't find next, change all, anything:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to try resetting your InDesign preferences. If you don't know how, follow this link and scroll to the section "Restore all preferences and default settings"...

Set preferences in Adobe InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I would like to know if the steps suggested by Michael worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Srishti. As is often the case, I had muscled through the problem in another way by the time that suggestion came through, so I don't know if it would have worked or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines