Find 'Book' bug

Guru ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign 2021 (the latest version both on Mac and Windows), I add a text frame and fill it with placeholder text which is set, by default, to Minion Pro - Regular.

Then I go to the find-change dialog box and set 'find format > basic character format > font style' to Book.

And guess what happens when I hit the 'find next' button? It selects all the 'regular' text. (The document has no text with the 'book' font style applied!)

Selecting another style -- e.g. Bold, Italic, etc. -- results, as expected, in the 'cannot find match' alert.

Looks like a bug!

Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 17.53.03.png

TOPICS
Bug, Type

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem occurs with GREP search as well. That's why my Protect local styling script brings unexpected results: 'book' character style is applied instead of 'None'.

Any ideas on how to work around it otherwise than removing the 'book' from the script?

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kasyan,

thank you for pointing this out!

I can see this behavior already with InDesign 2020 on Windows 10.

Also with InDesign CS6 on Windows 10.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

Also, I noticed that on different computers, the font style' drop-down list differs, and some items look very strange to me, for example:

Regular-389.344 Italic
SemiLight SemiCondenced
appstudio
Cyrillic

Maybe InDesign reads some info from the installed fonts to display it as available font styles but something goes totally wrong during the process.
Anyway, here I posted a bug report and invite everyone, who is willing, to vote for it.

Regards,
Kasyan

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines