Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find/Change within a table. Change only the second instance

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I am new to InDesign

I have made a planner in InDesign and I have made a mistake on the scheduling pages.
I have a table with rows and columns, sometimes three columns, sometimes more. in the first column there are times on every other row.

I have repeated 5pm where it should be 6pm so I have duplicate 5pm on over 365 pages in the planner.
I spent hours on the internet last night trying to find a solution and tried all sorts of find/change options including trying to use tab metacharacters like so: 5pm^t^t^t5pm and the GREP equivalent

I could do it all manually skipping the first 5pm and changing the second, but I don’t relish doing this nearly 400 times, plus I have another 8 versions of the planner with the same problem that i will need to change too. And if I do it manually, there is a great risk of error which will be even harder to detect.

In Microsoft Word, I can just copy the cells and paste them into the find field and replace the offending 5pm that way so I am finding it very frustrating not to be able to do that with InDesign

Has anyone got any idea how I can run a find/change and be able to “change all” in one go of just the second instance per page throughout the entire document/s

Thank you

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

A solution—perhaps not the best solution—is to use Table > Convert Table to Text so that you can search for the string and replace it. Once done, use Table > Convert Text to Table to convert it back. If you aren't using styles, you will need to reapply the formatting.

I don't think GREP can address this—thought I'm not 100%. I suspect scripting can, but I'm not a scripter. 

~Barb 

tbl1.pngtbl2.pngtbl3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A solution—perhaps not the best solution—is to use Table > Convert Table to Text so that you can search for the string and replace it. Once done, use Table > Convert Text to Table to convert it back. If you aren't using styles, you will need to reapply the formatting.

I don't think GREP can address this—thought I'm not 100%. I suspect scripting can, but I'm not a scripter. 

~Barb 

tbl1.pngtbl2.pngtbl3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Barb, will give it a try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like I can only change the table to text on a per table basis (unless I am doing something wrong) in which case it would be easier to just change the second instance manually.

Thank you for your response though.

I think I need another solution I'm afraid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, this command is performed one table at a time. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines