• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find/replace text with the inches symbol

Enthusiast ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I have a large set of data that is generated online. What I get is something like this:

30"

I need to replace that html code """ with the inches symbol.

I know how to create the inches symbol in InDesign. But I want to do a find/replace. How would I do this? Currently I have to go through the entire document and type in "control    shift    quote marks" which is very tedious. Any ideas? Thanks! Oh, I'm on a Mac using InDesign 15.0. 

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julie:

Is this what you need? If so:

Find "

Change to ~"

~Barb

example.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response and for taking the time to make the video. That's great. However, when I do what you did... I get quotation marks... not inch marks. What am I doing wrong? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH! I figured it out. I didn't add the tilde before the inch marks... when I did, that made it work. Thank you so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just so you know: this does not require GREP. The code for a 'straight double quote', not a typographically correct curly one, in regular Find and Change is '^"' (sans the outer quotes, thus "hat double quote"). It also works for the single quote.

Alternatively, just uncheck "Typographic correct quotes" in the Preferences, run your find&change, and check it again to restore normal behaviour. (There is even a hotkey combo that toggles it, but as I only tend to press it accidentally while hunting for something else, I always have to go to Preferences to restore it.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! We are always happy to help, Julie.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines