Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fine lines on placed graphic objects

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello at all,

I have a problem with placed graphics in Indesign and fine lines that are strangely visible. The basic layout you can see below - the background is an imported Illustrator file.

screen-1.jpg

But in detail, there are fine lines, which I can't identify, why it comes to them - the following image shows the problem in detail:

screen-2.jpg

The backgroung graphic is built in Illustrator and is needed for different layouts, so I have to be flexible in making the layers visable/invisible. The structure of the vector Illustrator file can be seen in the two following images.

screen-3.jpgscreen-4.jpg

It makes no difference whether the graphic is reduced, enlarged or placed in its original size: These fine lines always appear in the white areas.

I have no ideas how to solve the problem without losing flexibility. Does anyone know this problem or why does it happen?

Good to know: I'm using the latest CC-Version.

Many thank you for all your tips, tricks and hints.

Many greetings Michael

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without providing links to sample files (including the .AI files) exhibiting this problem and a step-by-step enumeration of what you are doing, it is very difficult to diagnose exactly what the problem really is.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the hint, the data can be downloaded here: InDesign and Ai-file from Dropbox 

What I'm doing:

• creating the background graphic in Illustrator
  • imported the AI-file ​​into InDesign
  • when I activate the overprint preview, these lines can be seen in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Michael-Hfm,

did you apply a background color in Indesign to the frame the graphic is placed into? 

Did you try exporting a PDF/X4 and checking if those lines are visible there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jens,

yes, the result is the same - the lines still there. As PDF/X4 those lines are still visable (with a high zoom level of 2,400 %) - but you can see those lines in printed form, also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just exported a PDF/X4 of your file – the thin lines are visible ONLY with activated line smoothing, so this is only a viewing problem.

with line smoothing.pngwithout line smoothing.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not (the viewing problem was also my first suspicion)... the printing result looks like so for the customer....

IMG_4987.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I got curious and did what I always do in such case – I processed the file within our RIP (agfa Apogee), no lines there (Screenshot of the right edge).

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-07 um 10.51.55.png
Please don't misunderstand this, I can't say anything about other RIPs and their result. So this does not mean that there will be no lines if you print professionally.

So not sure what happened at your customer, did they use a "normal" office printer? 

Maybe someone else can shed some light on this issue.
I read about this here somewhere before with detailed explanation of what and why, but couldn't find the thread.

edit: printing on a Konica Minolta C220 - no lines. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case we have professionally printed by printer comopany on higher quality paper.

But thank you very much for your help and the time you invested in it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID’s Separation preview is showing an output value for the line, so I would expect it to print if there is enough print resolution:

exp.png

The line seems to correspond to the AI artboard, if I edit the artboard size it goes away

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the AI artboard is larger than the InD frame... I've tried several sizes, same effect.

screenshot-5.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I missed that, it shouldn’t be happening. Try putting a .2pt white stroke on the InDesign container frame, that worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks rob day! And yes, this is a solution which I'v tried also and it works in this case. But why this effect/bug occurs is simply not understandable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as it just being a viewing issue, it's not, as the line definitely shows up in an exported PNG or JPG.

It appears to be a clipping issue, as what you are seeing is a hair of the background behind the white objects, so it's a sliver of the blue/pattern background. Why, I don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, and exactly this WHY is the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines