• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed layout ePub: Endnotes numbers in text linked to their endnote refs?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kia ora,
OK so I've trawled for answers to this a fair bit, and I've done some testing, but I can't find a comprehensive answer and it is doing my head in!
I am designing (in InDesign CC) a fixed layout ePub that will also be exported as a pdf (it's for a journal – the ePub will have some embedded video/interactivity, and the pdf will have (most likely) have links to Vimeo content in lieu of this). Anyway, in my file, if I export a pdf, the endnote numbers link to the endnote text automatically. In the ePub, they don't link at all. I thought this might be an endnote vs footnote thing, but trialed footnotes and they don't link either. Does a fixed layout ePub just not support/automatically do this? Is there something I haven't ticked somewhere? Would I have to go in and manually make text anchors at each endnote and hyperlink them to make this work? (I have several images with captions and where these are mentioned in the text I've used text anchor/hyperlink to create a jump to the image caption in question). 

Any advice gratefully recieved!

Ngā mihi

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question! I have a print book with many images and over 300 endnotes. Because of the images, the author and I are opting for a fixed layout ePub rather than flowable. However, the endnotes are not "round-tripping" in the ePub even though they work great in PDF form. Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still stuck with this… did you make any headway OhCaye? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ugh, looking at Lynda.com (https://www.lynda.com/InDesign-tutorials/Indexes-footnotes-endnotes/693092/758728-4.html?autocomplet...) this is a known issue back in cc2018. Here's some of the transcript:

"…And here is our footnote, so there's the footnote number two and number one. Let's click number one, and it jumps to the end of that section because I split this document into multiple chapters with the split command, and this is actually linked back there. So that works well, there's two. Now this is the one for the endnote, a link for the endnote, and I click, and uh-oh, I swear to you I'm clicking but nothing's happening.

So there's something wonky about the endnotes. We're gonna look at that in a minute, but for now, let's go all the way back to the index and see how the index is working. The index still includes the page numbers, and that's okay. Even though page numbers don't make a lot of sense in an EPUB, it's really the only way they could figure out to make the links work. This was a wonderful feature to include linked indexes. This just happened, I think a version or two ago. So now when I'm looking in an index, I can click here, and it will jump to the paragraph that contains that word somewhere in here.

It doesn't select the word, but it gets you pretty close. Let's go back there to that index area because there's the endnotes. And if I hover over the endnotes, oh those look like links too, just like the footnotes did, but I click, and nothing is happening. So, I'm sorry to say, that's broken. The endnotes do not link correctly in an EPUB. This is the very first version that they released endnotes for InDesign, and I think it's a little fragile, and I'm hoping that they're going to issue an update that will fix this, and if so, I'll update this video and update what's new in CC 2018.

Come on Adobe, what's going on here?! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines