• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed Layout ePub Exported by InDesign Fails Validation in ePub Checker v4.1.1

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using InDesign to make Fixed Layout ePubs. I just upgraded ePub Checker to v4.1.1 and now all my ePubs that had no errors before with v4.0.2 now generate an error. Here are screen shots of the v4.0.2 and v4.1.1 check results:

no error v402.pngerror v411.png

The error returned is in toc.xhtml: Error while parsing file: element 'ol' incomplete; missing required element 'li'. Here's a screenshot of the toc.xhtml:

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 9.49.37 AM.png

The error is at line 9. There needs to be an entry between <ol> and </ol>. Leaving this empty is apparently no longer valid using the 4.1.1 ePub Checker library, but used to be OK with the 4.0.2 library. I contacted the developer of ePub Checker and he said:

This comes from the underlaying validation engine of the official EPUBCheck library.  There has been a minor update as you can see when having a look at the version numbers (4.1.1 vs. 4.0.2).

Core developers made an update to the TOC schema with PR #763 (https://github.com/w3c/epubcheck/pull/763😞

> fixes nav doc validation to be more faithful to the spec

> * require at least one li child for ol

So this is be intention and it seems you have some empty <ol> elements with no children in your toc.xhtml which is not valid anymore.

You have to fix these... so InDesign is not producing ePubs that conform to the current standard. The problem is, that InDesign is exporting an empty TOC with an empty <ol> element if you do not set toc titles properly before exporting.

Note that I'm using the most current version of InDesign (2019 v 10.0.1), and that the ePubs I'm exporting out of InDesign are Fixed Layout, so setting toc titles is not an option in the export dialog. So to fix this I would have to add an li child between <ol> and </ol>.

So starting at line 8 it would read

<ol>

<li>  ????????  </li>

</ol>

Not being really familiar with html and relying on InDesign to produce my ePubs, I don't know what to put here. What should I put here as a work-around to make the ePub valid? Note that the ePubs I now have that validate correctly against the old standard still work fine as far as being able to be read. So the only change is to make the ePub valid – there is really no change in the way the ePub is read or displayed on various devices. Or, the ultimate question: Do I really need to worry about this? Looks like the ePub Checker developers just made a tweak in the validation procedure to conform more tightly with the specs, but will the minor error, which apparently doesn't affect how the ePub is read, cause iBooks and others to reject the ePub? Bottom line, however, is that Fixed Layout ePubs produced by the current version of InDesign apparently do not conform to the current standard.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Problem solved! When exporting the Fixed Layout ePub, select "File Name" when setting the Navigation TOC. I had mine set on "None" which was OK when validating the file with the old version of ePub Checker (v4.0.2), but generates the above error when using v4.1.1.

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 4.39.17 PM.png@

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to InDesign EPUB forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved! When exporting the Fixed Layout ePub, select "File Name" when setting the Navigation TOC. I had mine set on "None" which was OK when validating the file with the old version of ePub Checker (v4.0.2), but generates the above error when using v4.1.1.

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 4.39.17 PM.png@

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you - you've saved me from humdreds of hours of head scratching to solve this issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the excat same issue, with my fixed layout. and changing the TOC navogation to file name fixed my issue!

Gosh i love to see a valid epub. Thanks so much.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was having the SAME issue, and the SAME error! Thank you; that did the trick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for us too. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This page saved the day!  I made the small but significant change to my Epub file, NONE TO FILE NAME and I was able too publish my Ebook. WOW!

Thank you form the bottom of my heart!

http://www.PalmBeachBookPublisher.com   917-767-5843

The Most Genererous Publisher in the Industry!  10 Day Global Distribution to 39,000 Retailers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that simple solution!! Perfect! Saved me having to try an work out all that coding stuff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you soooo much! I reached out to technical support with this problem and they could not help me. You saved me from many hours of fruitless frustration!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much you saved my life! Merci beaucoup! My ebook is valid now.

My only question is, it is written : 

INFORMATION (RSC-004) at "Test 29.epub/Test 29.epub":
File "OEBPS/font/BebasNeue-Regular.otf" could not be decrypted.

INFORMATION (RSC-004) at "Test 29.epub/Test 29.epub":
File "OEBPS/font/CooperBlackStd.otf" could not be decrypted.

No errors or warnings detected. EPUB is valid!

Does anyone knows, why the fonts cannot be decrypted and what I can do about that? Is this an obstacle, when I like to publish on Apple Books? Thank you so much in advance! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!  I was circling around in a maze for days on this, with a deadline coming, and your help just saved the situation.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! After hours of looking through forums for a solution, this worked for Ingram Spark submission. I kept getting the same error code on their website for my ebook. I guess they use a similar EPUB checker. So, to all other self-publishers exporting using Adobe Indesign, make sure to select File Name under TOC Navigation when exporting your EPUB. It solves the problem right away. Thanks again!! You saved me another two days of ripping my hair out! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since publishing my last book, I have been working on a new one, where the fixed formatting has not been preserved in kindle. If this happens to you, use the reflowable output for EPUB, and then use the paragraph styles to insert page breaks so your text is not stuck together. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my god, thank youuuuu!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

God bless you, whoever you are! I was ready to screech. all good. thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! I wasted 2 days trying to figure it out! Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using ID 16.3.2. I checkoff -- Make text anchor in source paragraph, which fixed a few things including my TOC navigation for Fixed layout EPUBs. I'm left with two items - 'missing NCX file' and 'submitting an encrypted epub 3.0 file'.'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind I figured it out. Currently using reflowable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GRACIAS !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines