Highlighted

Fixed Layout EPub - Problems exporting...

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've created a comic in InDesign 2020, in which every page is a single image. Just under 100 pages of nothing but a large image on each page. I'm trying to export it as a Fixed Layout Epub. I set all the images to the lowest quality (to reduce file size), and left mostly everything on default.

So, to the problem at hand. I open my Epub in Sumatra, and encounter some unusual things.

- Certain pages will display twice (in the ereader, where there's two pages displaying at once, the same page will be shown on both sides at the same time.)

- There's always a non-existent page after my Page 14 (After I turn Page 13, there will be a blank on the left, and Page 15 on the right. I turn again, and Page 14 will display on the left with 15 on the right as it should)

- One page at the end of the document doesn't appear at all

When exporting, I DO have all-pages selected, and I initially had spread control set to "Based on document set-up", and experimented having "Disable Spreads", but it didn't make much difference.

I was at first getting an export error message about a text anchor, but I've since deleted that and no longer get the error. Still the same problem, so I don't think the anchor had anything to do with it.

If it makes a difference, this was originally a different .idd file for a different comic I'd created; I just changed the image links. The previous file had been converted to a Fixed Layout Epub using CS6 1-2 years ago. However, the page which doesn't appear in my new one is added on a new page later in the document.

Really hoping I can get to the bottom of this, and what things can possibly be causing this. I had no problem converting this same file to PDF.

Thanks in advance.

Stop using Sumatra reader: it is incapable of rendering fixed layout epubs properly. Disable spreads when exporting to FXL epubs - ideally work on single pages in InDesign.

Test your file in Thorium reader instead, and report back to us.

https://www.edrlab.org/software/thorium-reader/

TOPICS
EPUB, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Fixed Layout EPub - Problems exporting...

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've created a comic in InDesign 2020, in which every page is a single image. Just under 100 pages of nothing but a large image on each page. I'm trying to export it as a Fixed Layout Epub. I set all the images to the lowest quality (to reduce file size), and left mostly everything on default.

So, to the problem at hand. I open my Epub in Sumatra, and encounter some unusual things.

- Certain pages will display twice (in the ereader, where there's two pages displaying at once, the same page will be shown on both sides at the same time.)

- There's always a non-existent page after my Page 14 (After I turn Page 13, there will be a blank on the left, and Page 15 on the right. I turn again, and Page 14 will display on the left with 15 on the right as it should)

- One page at the end of the document doesn't appear at all

When exporting, I DO have all-pages selected, and I initially had spread control set to "Based on document set-up", and experimented having "Disable Spreads", but it didn't make much difference.

I was at first getting an export error message about a text anchor, but I've since deleted that and no longer get the error. Still the same problem, so I don't think the anchor had anything to do with it.

If it makes a difference, this was originally a different .idd file for a different comic I'd created; I just changed the image links. The previous file had been converted to a Fixed Layout Epub using CS6 1-2 years ago. However, the page which doesn't appear in my new one is added on a new page later in the document.

Really hoping I can get to the bottom of this, and what things can possibly be causing this. I had no problem converting this same file to PDF.

Thanks in advance.

Stop using Sumatra reader: it is incapable of rendering fixed layout epubs properly. Disable spreads when exporting to FXL epubs - ideally work on single pages in InDesign.

TOPICS
EPUB, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on a Mac have a look at CircularFLO: 

https://www.circularflo.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm! Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2020 0
Guide ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for recommending Thorium; it certainly displays the file better. The missing page is there now, thankfully, though there were some pages which displayed beside the next or previous page. I figured this one out on my own though; these particular images in my original InDesign file were overlapping the page beside it slightly. I tidied them up and re-exported it, and don't get the problem anymore. Thanks!

Anyway, one last issue. As this is a comic, there are certain pages which are double-page spreads, which I want displayed side-by-side. Does Thorium have a setting to display dual pages? Or is this something that needs to be configured during export?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 27, 2020 0