• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flightcheck misidentifies link as OPI

Participant ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using InDesignCC v15 on a Windows 10 Pro computer.

I have a doc where all of the pages are individually-placed PDF pages. Flightcheck has identified 100 (out of 236) of these placements as OPI. It has not flagged them as low-res, and the links are up-to-date. What is FlightCheck flagging?

Action: I've tried removing one of the flagged placements, exporting it anew from the PDF document as a single page, and placing it again--it is still flagged. We don't use OPI at all in our workflow, so I can't understand where this is coming from. All of the pages were exported from the original PDF as single pages (I don't really like the scripted Multiple Page Importer) and placed in InDesign in exactly the same manner, so why would it flag only 100 if there is something inherently wrong with the workflow?

Any advice?

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Hi Fred,

when in Acrobat Pro and a PDF is open look into Document Properties > Description

You may find a hint with the Application, PDF Producer and PDF Version entries.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last time I saw that was years ago with improperly created PDFs out of Quark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting but Quark is no way involved in our workflow, unless Quark created the original PDF we received. Do you know if the current flag then actually constitutes an issue, or can be safely ignored?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run the PDF through Acrobat there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck, it seems. I've tried running it through the Acrobat Print Production Preflight and FixUp, analyzing and fixing the tagging structures (no issues found) and resaving it as Acrobat 7. Updated the link, ran Preflight again on the document, and nothing changed. Whatever it is picking up seems deeply embedded in the PDF. I guess since the link is good (even after re-packaging) and the resolution is fine I'll just assume it's a bug--don't know what else to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fred,

I would inspect the placed PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro's preflight.

What I'm not sure about: Did you create the placed PDF files? If so, how?

Are perhaps placed Adobe Illustrator files involved where placed images are just placed & linked and not embedded?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preflight isn't picking up any issues, at least for the profiles I've run (the ones that would seem to make sense). I did not create the placed PDF files--the original PDF was provided by a client, so I don't know how the PDF was created. The pages are type and halftones.

Interesting, when I open  a page in Illustrator and save it as a PDF, InDesign doesn't flag it as OPI.

Doing that for 100 pages with no apparent benefit other than to rid the FlightCheck of ghost issues doesn't seem like a good use of time, though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fred,

when in Acrobat Pro and a PDF is open look into Document Properties > Description

You may find a hint with the Application, PDF Producer and PDF Version entries.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a good clue. I see that the PDF was originally created by the Apogee Series3 Pilot, which seems to be a workflow created by Agfa--I'm not familiar with it, but if it's a commercial workflow I imagine it employs OPI / FPO images until it's ready for prepress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you contacted Markzware at all? 

What version of FlightCheck are you using?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I'm talking of InDesign's built-in flightcheck, not the Markzware app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for the record, InDesign's and Acrobat's feature is called "Preflight".

Flightcheck is an excellent product from Markzware that goes above and beyond what InDesign's Preflight can do.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Of course--right you are--I forgot! And I agree with your assessment of FlightCheck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OPI is a thing that can be used in PDF for any of the images in it. So I speculate that this PDF, which you didn't make (?) is marked as containing OPI. OPI in PDF is essentially obsolete and I don't know any tools to add it or discover it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines