• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flow text with varying columns

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have text that needs to flow over 100s of pages for a text book. Some of the text is divided into two columns with the second column containg a translation of the first column. Then there are sections without translation that is in one column. How to flow the text is complex especially when the first column flow onto the next page. Is there a way to do this without doing it manually.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Thanks. What I did in the end was run the text in two flows. One for the English in the left hand column and anchored the translated text to that on the right hand column. It semi works with just a bit of manual adjusting here and there.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two columns and one column wouldn't be too hard. Just set all of the text frames to two column, make a body text style for the single-language that spans both columns, and a copy of the style for the two-language that doesn't. The trick is that you probably want the second language to be set beside the first language, which might be tricky if it goes longer than what fits on a page. That's because the part of the first language that doesn't fit in the first column would flow to the second, rather than to the next page. For that, you would want two single-column text frames on those pages. And this all gets more complicated if the amount of text changes which page it flows into (delete or add some text, and now your single-language text can't flow across columns, because it's flown into a page with two single-column frames, if you see what I mean).

There's probably a good answer, but it seems like doing it manually might be what ends up working. You'll probably get better answers than this, so keep an eye on this thread for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. What I did in the end was run the text in two flows. One for the English in the left hand column and anchored the translated text to that on the right hand column. It semi works with just a bit of manual adjusting here and there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines