Highlighted

Folders in My Documents

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Sir, dear Madam,

Since the last update of InDesign, three folders are added in My Documents folder: CIDFont, CMap and Font (see screenshot).

InDesign Folders.png

Please stop that immediatly!!! NO program should write ANYTHING in this private area. Use AppData folders instead.

Thank you.

Pascal Garin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Folders in My Documents

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Sir, dear Madam,

Since the last update of InDesign, three folders are added in My Documents folder: CIDFont, CMap and Font (see screenshot).

InDesign Folders.png

Please stop that immediatly!!! NO program should write ANYTHING in this private area. Use AppData folders instead.

Thank you.

Pascal Garin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pascal,

I wonder why folders Adobe and Adobe Scripts are missing there.

FWIW: Other apps like Outlook also are writing data to the UserName > Documents folder.

That's nothing unusual, I think.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Uwe,

Thank you very much for your rapid answer.

Unfortunately, I totally disagree with you.

Concerning Outlook files, as you know, you can name and place them wherever you want.

The problem with Adobe's folders, is that it seems that they cannot be placed anywhere, and they are really numerous. Here is a second screenshot (Adobe's folders are highlighted) with the new Photoshop folder (Adobe\Photoshop Cloud Associates), which in my case is totally useless as I am a freelancer and do not work with anybody else. As I also use from time to time Premiere Pro and media Encoder, which also create their own folders (I delete them systematically after use), the situation seems out of control.

Adobe Folders.png

I use other programs that also create folders (which remain empty furthermore) and I consider that this must be absolutely forbiden, otherwise My documents will rapidly become a terrible mess in which it will be difficult to identify what is mine and what is extra.

Last, but not least, I cannot accept the idea that a few engineers from the Silicon Valley decide on my behald how to arrange my personnal data!

In conclusion, please come back to the previous situation and use AppData\Local\Adobe and AppData\Roaming\Adobe to store any information that might be useful from one session to another.

Thank you for your consideration,

Pascal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pascal,

don't get me wrong. I did not say that I appreciate what Adobe and others are doing. Thanks to your post I am now aware of the new behavior of CC 2020 apps writing new folders and files also to the Documents folder ( I hardly use my Documents folder ) .

I cannot tell why CC 2020 apps are doing this. Nore can I tell what's the exact purpose of the folders and files. Also I cannot tell if its "dangerous" to remove them.

Hm… I would do a feature request for not writing to the Documents folder:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines