Highlighted

Font Exceptions Table

Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Forum,

I've looked around a bit for this solution. No luck yet. Maybe I'm not wording my searches properly.

I seem to recall that years ago, Pagemaker had a feature called "Font Exceptions Table" (or maybe it was Ventura Publisher). It would allow you to tell PM; "Whenever a text file calls for font A, always replace it with font B." It essentially created a preference file, a table of fonts and their preferred replacement fonts. Hoping to find such a feature in InDesign. I produce a periodical newsletter with Optima as the font for the body text. My customer sends me Word and Excel files in which they have used an old TTF font called Optimum. Getting a little tired of doing the Find Font thing so repetetively. Would be nice if there was a way to tell ID; "Always replace Optimum with Optima (normals, bolds, italics, etc.)." What am I overlooking?

Thanks!

C Ya

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for reaching out. As Steve mentioned there is no such feature in InDesign. You may create a feature request on Adobe InDesign UserVoice.

This forum is monitored by product team and they might look into it for upcoming releases.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

TOPICS
Feature request, Scripting, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Font Exceptions Table

Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Forum,

I've looked around a bit for this solution. No luck yet. Maybe I'm not wording my searches properly.

I seem to recall that years ago, Pagemaker had a feature called "Font Exceptions Table" (or maybe it was Ventura Publisher). It would allow you to tell PM; "Whenever a text file calls for font A, always replace it with font B." It essentially created a preference file, a table of fonts and their preferred replacement fonts. Hoping to find such a feature in InDesign. I produce a periodical newsletter with Optima as the font for the body text. My customer sends me Word and Excel files in which they have used an old TTF font called Optimum. Getting a little tired of doing the Find Font thing so repetetively. Would be nice if there was a way to tell ID; "Always replace Optimum with Optima (normals, bolds, italics, etc.)." What am I overlooking?

Thanks!

C Ya

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for reaching out. As Steve mentioned there is no such feature in InDesign. You may create a feature request on Adobe InDesign UserVoice.

This forum is monitored by product team and they might look into it for upcoming releases.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

TOPICS
Feature request, Scripting, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such feature in InDesign. Perhaps you or someone could write a script to do that function. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Am I remembering correctly that Pagemaker could do that?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I left behind Pagemaker so long ago that I have no idea. I moved to QuarkXPress, and since InDesign came out left them far behind,.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie,

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2020 1
Contributor ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would create a template file where, for e.g. you place one of their Word files, then edit the incoming imported Paragraph Styles and Character styles. for instance, Word will likely have a "Normal". If your client uses Optimum in that all the time, edit the Style to be your font, then delete the text you placed and save as a template file. Next issue, when you open that template and place a new Word file, it will use the fonts defined in your template. This won't work all the time, Your client may do all sorts of weird things...but it's useful. You don't have to use any of the styles for your publication... they can be there only to do the font swap.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2020 1