• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font from paragraph style disappears when copy/past text box between documents

Participant ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have InDesign CC version 15.0.2. I am working with files that I created on a single computer. I am trying to copy a text box with paragraph styles from one document into a new document.

I have three styles setup in the orignial document named "Heading 1", "Question", and "Answer".  All three styles use the font Myriad Pro family. Heading 1 and Question use Myriad Pro Bold Condensed. Answer uses Myriad Pro Semibold Condensed. I have not set up any character styles in this document. The new document has no paragraph or character styles set up.

When I copy and paste a text box containing all three styles from the original document inot the new document, I loose the Myraid Pro Bold Condensed font. The text becomes Minion Pro and is highlighted to show the Myriad Pro Bold Condensed font is missing. 

The three styles show up in the new document after I paste the text box and I can edit the Heading 1 and Question styles back to Myriad Pro Bold Condensed in the new document. But this is a pain.

Why do I get a missing font error when I copy and paste between two InDesign documents that I created on the same computer?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Does the problem happen if you first load the styles from the source document into the destination document via Load All Text Styles... from the Paragraph Style panel’s flyout menu?

You should get a Load Styles dialog that lets you choose Use Incoming Definition. Doing that would update the destination’s [Basic Paragraph] style to match the source’s version before you copy and paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't copy and paste -- Place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the based on setting in those styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are both based on "Basic Paragraph Style". But why would it show the font as missing when both documents were created on the same computer? And why is this an issue now, when I've copied and pasted text between documents for years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But is basic the same in each document? Are the fonts in a document fonts folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get that a font style based on "Basic Paragraph Style" could change based on the set up of the "Basic Paragraph Style" in the individual document. What I dont understand is why a font that I use a lot, and have used for several years, would suddenly show up as a missing font. This is the first time i've encountered this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What O/S are you using. Catalina has quite a few font issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer is running Windows 10 Pro version 1909.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the problem happen if you first load the styles from the source document into the destination document via Load All Text Styles... from the Paragraph Style panel’s flyout menu?

You should get a Load Styles dialog that lets you choose Use Incoming Definition. Doing that would update the destination’s [Basic Paragraph] style to match the source’s version before you copy and paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That worked. Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines