Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font opened in one document but not in the new one

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I open an old document, and the font is open. When I copy a text box into a new document, the font is no longer open.

Also, if I make a save as of my first document and reopen it, the font is not open.

Could it be because my initial document is 2017 and my new ones are 2018?

I tried to save in idml but it does not change anything.

Forgive my spelling mistakes, English is not my first language.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

So that's what's going on. When a completed InDesign document is packaged, InDesign collects the fonts used and puts them in a Document Fonts folder. When someone else opens the file, if they don't own the font, InDesign will check the Document Fonts folder and will use the font correctly within that one file. That's why it is working within the one file, but not the other.

https://indesignsecrets.com/document-fonts-work.php

Professional fonts are licensed to individuals (or companies). The next

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open up the folder containing the file that opens up correctly. Is there a folder called Document Fonts in there there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So that's what's going on. When a completed InDesign document is packaged, InDesign collects the fonts used and puts them in a Document Fonts folder. When someone else opens the file, if they don't own the font, InDesign will check the Document Fonts folder and will use the font correctly within that one file. That's why it is working within the one file, but not the other.

https://indesignsecrets.com/document-fonts-work.php

Professional fonts are licensed to individuals (or companies). The next step is to look online for the font and acquire it legally. This may be free—your CC subscription comes with access to many Typekit fonts. Other websites have fonts in the public domain. Otherwise, to avoid running into legal trouble, purchase the font, download and install it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you very much !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are very welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this font won't even work opening the document within my designer's folder. The fonts have to work outside of the folder anyway since we are importing into a magazine. Never had this issue until I upgraded to Adobe Cloud CS 2018. Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this font won't even work opening the document within my designer's folder

Hi Karen:

• Where exactly is "this font" installed?
  • What operating system are you on?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is it a document that you have received in a package? The package would have the .indd and .idml....

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem - thought it was just on my iMac with old operating system since latest creative suite updates. But on new MacBook two jobs with same font one works other says font is missing. Im tearing my hair out with same issues!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and I purchased & I OWN the font legally! Get with it Adobe! I am reluctant to be paranoid on this but I almost feel like we are all being pushed to use all Adobe Assets.  

MY PARTICULAR ISSUE :

I have a packaged file with the font included. When I open a completely separate packaged file without the font and try to include said font in that file OR create a new file using that font, I get a missing font message. I went round and round trying to figure it out. My solution is not ideal but I finally just copied the font from the packaged file that included it (even though the font is loaded in my system fonts) and pasted it into the other packaged file's "Document Fonts Folder".  Don't know how to resolve this on a brand new file but this needs to be addressed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a packaged file with the font included. When I open a completely separate packaged file without the font and try to include said font in that file OR create a new file using that font, I get a missing font message.

That is completely normal: the packaged fonts can be used only in the indd packaged document.

My solution is not ideal but I finally just copied the font from the packaged file that included it (even though the font is loaded in my system fonts)

Are you absolutely sure that the installed font is exactly the same as the packaged one? Same name is not enough, it has to be the same format (TTF, OTF) and the same version. This problem happens very often, especially with Google fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Packaged by me, on my machine with fonts that are loaded in my system fonts. Not so normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.

This is not a google font. This is a font that I purchased. I only have one format for this font - OTF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use a packaged font and create anew indd file it must be saved in the same folder as the packaged indd file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use a packaged font and create anew indd file it must be saved in the same folder as the packaged indd file.

Thank you. Yes, this is obvious to me. My issue: the font in question is a font I purchased years ago which is loaded on in my system's font management utility.  What is the reason for the bug now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This should not be an issue but your solution solved the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines