• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font printing weblike

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me why this is printing like this? It printed fine and now gives some webbing. I've been spending time trying to bring my overall file size down, and at one point around when I noticed this I had just been exploring transparency flattening within Id. Not sure if that could be part of my problem. This is a licensed .ttf file that I purchased.

IMG_7732.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

It looks like your font wanna live without you (bugged).

If I have such bug than I do "create outline" for text in PDF and do the print.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to provide some more information?

• What operating system are you on (Mac OS / Windows) and version. (e.g. Windows 10)
  • What printer are printing to? (Brand, Model)
  • Are you able share screenshots of the printer settings you are using?

It appears from your image that the printout with the lines is printing at a higher quality?

Have you tried calibrating the printer and cleaning the nozzle? (assuming it's an inkjet printer).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as PDF your work (print or export). Do you see in PDF this parasitic lines? If no — do the print from Acrobat.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I exported as interactive PDF (a requirement) and when viewing in Acrobat I do not see the lines. As you can see, they did print fine at one point, but in the exports after that, they print the webbing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like your font wanna live without you (bugged).

If I have such bug than I do "create outline" for text in PDF and do the print.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think you're right. I actually tried this last night and it worked. Makes me frustrated about that (and I contacted the person I bought the font from) but at least I have a way around.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure.

I'm on a Mac OS High Sierra. My printer is a Canon MX920. I'll attach a couple screenshots and hopefully it's what you need.

I have not considered the printer, but I guess that makes sense too. I did do a clean just last week. Just whatever i ran on the computer.

It was suggested to me that I need to convert my fonts to outlines because other computers will not recognize the font and things like this will happen to others using my PDF file, but is that possible? I was under the understanding that PDF's are in a sense a picture of your file and they won't need my fonts in their computers. Or am I misunderstanding?

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 8.46.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 8.46.39 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aah I see you are printing from Adobe Acrobat.

As a work-around to see if the issue disappears when you 'rasterise' the content on printing can you try this:

1. Choose File > Print
  2. Click Advanced
  3. And then select Print As Image
  4. Click OK and then Print

print-as-greyscale.png

I'm guessing that will eliminate the issue you are currently seeing.

Also there is NO need to outline fonts, unless you are using a font that can NOT be embedded in a PDF:

• When you create a PDF from InDesign fonts are always automatically embedded, this means that if someone else opens the PDF on another computer they don't need to have the fonts installed to see the file as intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the clarification on the outlining. That makes total sense and yes, I did notice that my fonts did embed so that's taken care of!

The original issue, however, persists. I did try the 150 dpi and it didn't make a difference. I tried exporting it in various different levels of resolution and still no difference. HOWEVER, I sent the file to a friend and hers printed out just fine!!!! Now I really curious what the heck is going on!

I've been playing with a copy of my original so I think I'm going to go back to the beginning and see if a fresh try will make it stop. I'm a bit concerned still about the transparency flattening situation and wondering if that did something to my file. Certain png art printed black for my friend that did the print trial for me. So something is wrong with... something!!

Thanks so much for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I created a new "mess-around" file to see what would happen. It continues to be a problem. I am so confused. I don't even know what to google for help.

IMG_7737.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just an update to this. I created outlines for this font in my document (it's only used as section titles so not much at all) and it almost doubled my file size. Apparently this is normal, but definitely not suitable for what I'm trying to accomplish. I was able to get a refund on the font and purchased another one - after practicing with the free version, of course. I removed the old font and replaced it, did a Save a Copy and my new file size went from 50MB to 9MB!!!! I have limited smarts about the technical world but something tells me that font was causing a lot more trouble than just webbing. Maybe??? Anyway, in this case the only go-around was to replace the font altogether. Sad, but true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines