• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font problem

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is something strange happening to me with Indesign. I am not clear why it happens. I updated to the last version recently and when I open one of my files (which is old) it stopped recognizing some fonts, being that I have used this fonts for a long time... In the end I decided to go back to an older version. But every so often the problem happens again. What could it be?

Captura de Pantalla 2020-06-25 a la(s) 17.47.32.png

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you using a professional font manager? or the one your computer came with?

is indesign the only application that is having this issue?

do you have the ability to use the find and replace font dialog box to load the fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have your fonts loaded within the InDesign application or are they loaded directly onto your computer either through a Font Manager or wherever fonts reside on your computer (you did not say what operating system you are using)? I have always found it far more reliable to load fonts on the computer rather than within InDesign. This is especially a good idea to protect yourself from issues that may arise every time that InDesign gets an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with Bill Sibert above.

The missing fonts problem appears to be getting more frequent with each new release. Maybe software moderating by Adobe to track which fonts we're using.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far only Indesign, although I admit that I have not updated any other program, I have found to many errors already. The font is installed on the computer. It is strange, because suddenly it is able to see it and not recognize it. My system is MacOS Catalina, version 10.15.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe recently removed a big block of fonts from their font library. Could your issue be related to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can learn more about the fonts dropped from Adobe Font library at:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-fonts/foundries-leaving-adobe-fonts/m-p/11110604?page=1#M2137 

and

https://indesignsecrets.com/more-fonts-are-being-retired-from-creative-cloud.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it shouldn't since i never took it from adobe fonts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I remember correctly, there was a problem with Avenir. Are you updated to 15.1.1? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know that, it could be, I'll check then. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See this other post about Avenir: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-missing-font/td-p/10018653?page=1

If your version of Avenir is TrueType, it could be a pre-2000 version of TrueType, which is a font technology that has been phased out by the computer industry.

You might want to see if an OpenType version of Avenir is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines