• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font Support

Explorer ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I undersatnd that in the near future the Creative Cloud applications will no longer support Type 1 Postscript fonts. What about True Type fonts or is the only acceptable format going to be Open Type?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

AFAIK, support for True Type will continue. The Open Type specification is partially derivative of True Type, so despite being the "inferior" cousin-format, True Type support will probably survive for some time to come.

Votes

Translate

Translate

On behalf of Adobe, yes, support for TrueType fonts will continue for the indefinite future. As @John Mensinger explains, OpenType, both the CFF and the TTF flavours, are effectively extensions of the original TrueType format in terms of file format.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, support for True Type will continue. The Open Type specification is partially derivative of True Type, so despite being the "inferior" cousin-format, True Type support will probably survive for some time to come.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On behalf of Adobe, yes, support for TrueType fonts will continue for the indefinite future. As @John Mensinger explains, OpenType, both the CFF and the TTF flavours, are effectively extensions of the original TrueType format in terms of file format.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the Helvetica Neue LT Std font family in a few large documents. InDesign is popping up the alert that I am using "Type 1" fonts, but in the InDesign (v17.0, 2021) Find/Replace Font window, when I select this Helvetica Neue LT Std font, its Type details say it is "Open Type Type 1," and the info at the top right of window says "Type 1 Fonts: 0" See attached screenshot of this window below. Is this font family "Open Type" and to remain supported, or considered a "Type 1" that I'll need to replace?  Thanks!

Find_ReplaceFontsWindow.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi TexLefty,

see into my reply to a question that is similar to yours:

Apple Unsupporting Fonts in 2023: Format Confusion

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/apple-unsupporting-fonts-in-2023-format-confusio...

In my eyes it could be a highly misleading message.

Could be that the document you are using had "contact" with Type-1 fonts one time in its life. That information sticks to the document's code and was never removed.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines