Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font Troubles

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using a computer which has Suitcase Fusion installed and having endless troubles with fonts. If I make the fonts "permanently" installed it gets confused and I have to replace the fonts everytime I open a indd, so I have been "temporary" installing every time I open the document and it find the font perfectly.

The problem I am having is with helvetica neue. When I replace the font, it changes it completely - please see the screenshots below. This is before and after replacing the font.

Please help! Some of these documents are repeats that are 300+ pages long, and I can't look through them all for this error.

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 8.52.38 am.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-23 at 8.52.57 am.pngPlease note - it isn't just in this file.

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

questions,
How many different helveticas do you have in suitcase fusion?

I see you on a Mac, are you sharing this file with someone in windows?

Cheers

jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply. No, I am not sharing the file with anyone on windows.

I have 2 different helvetica neue font families installed, each font family is the whole version (around 40 variations).  I have just deleted 1 whole font family to see if that makes a difference, as I was noticing different versions e.g. italic, bold etc were all having the issue.

I have just started a new job with this computer, but I am assuming one font family version is PC and one is Mac. As when I look at the two different versions, one has the numbers e.g. 55 roman and the other doesn't. 

Hopefully my reply makes sense. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ok, question.

have you made sure you dissable fonts from fontbook? just  to make sure you are infact running one font manager for your font management?

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 8.42.11 AM.png

Next, you said you are now working with the opentype version, may we see a screenshot of that from suitcase fusion?

you should not use fontbook anymore, suitcase fusion is now your font manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure that I understand exactly what the font is supposed to be for your document. Your first screen shot shows Breuer Text as the active font. The second screenshot shows Helvetica Neue as active. Is the file defaulting to the Breuer and you want to change it to Helvetica but some of the characters are not displaying properly? I notice an instance where the word "employee" has the letters "mp" substituted with a random glyph. I also notice that the Helvetica you are using is Postscript Type 1 which for all intents and purposes is considered obsolete. One of the many reasons for this is that Postscript Type 1 only works on a Mac. Opentype which works on both a Mac and a PC is considered the industry standard. If your original document was possibly created or even worked on on a PC then it seems possible that a Mac based version of Helvetica Neue would be a problem. Do you have a problem with your Helvetica Neue on documents that you've created on your Mac? If it is possible, load the Opentype version of Helvetica Neue onto your Mac and unistall or turn off through Suitcase Fusion the Postscript Type 1 version. See if that fixes your problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

The font is meant to be Helvetica Neue, I just converted it to Breuer so I could take a screenshot of the issue. I have now deleted the font family of Helvetica Neue - Postscript and am using an Opentype version.

Thanks for your help!

I really appreciate it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also see that you use both Suitcase Fusion and Fontbook. You'll always be in trouble if you use 2 font managers. Use only Suitcase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines