Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts and Font sizes seem to be different in word then they do in Indesing

Contributor ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone.

I was supplied with a word document that a customer would like to be personalized for multiple recipients.  The only way I can figure to do this is recreate the letter in Indesign and then use data merge for the variable portions. However when I began recreating the letter in Indesign I noticed that even though I was using the same fonts and font sizes as were used in the word document the out come was fairly different. The type in Indesign seem larger and less bold then the original version in word. I even placed the a pdf version of the original word document on a locked layer so I could compare the Indesign version to original. Does any one know why? Also is there a good way import a word or even a .pdf document into Indesign so I can edit it? I am using the latest version of Indesign CC and Word 2011 on a Mac.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's a letter to individual recipients, you should use Mail Merge in Word. You're causing a lot of unnecessary trouble trying to bring it into InDesign.

Look in Word help, or go to Microsoft support.

In Word 2016, it's on the Mailings tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but why are the same fonts so different in the two programs? Im having the same problem, century gotham bold in indesign looks different to what it looks like in word... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a completely different question and requires a new post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Look different where? On screen or actual print? Is output scaled to fit maybe in Word but not in InDesign for instance? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines