• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts appear corrupt when moving InDesign file to another folder

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro running High Sierra 10.13.6. I am trying to package an Indesign CC 2018 file, but when I do so, all fonts appear garbled when I open the file in the new location. In fact, I cannot move or copy the file to any other folder other than the one the doc was created in without the same problem. Fonts appear to be fine and have been used successfully in other (Adobe) programs (at least I am not getting any font error messages from InDesign or Suitcase that the fonts are corrupt). I am able to save the doc as a print-ready pdf and move it to any folder, but at the moment I cannot provide native work files to the printer because of this issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you package a file with fonts the InDesign file reads from the Fonts folder of the packaged files.

Try packaging without fonts. And have those fonts loaded in your font manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck...document still does not view correctly. The fonts are still garbled even though I can highlight them in the document and InDesign shows the font name...they also appear correctly in the font list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time for some screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm...Try bringing those fonts to the new folder,  see if that connects.  It almost sounds like a links issue,  like when I move just the InDesign file to a different folder, without any of the linked images or files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently had the same problem... and I think I may have found a work around.

When I opened the InDesign file within the packaged folder, the type looks like gobbledy-gook.

However, when I changed the "Document fonts" folder to "Doc fonts", or anything else apart from the original folder name of "Document fonts", and opened the ID file, BINGO!  It worked!

This was driving me nuts, hope this helps.

Cheers,

Len Caridi, Australia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you did was tell InDesign to use the fonts installed in the system and ignore those in the folder. You might just as well have deleted the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right!!!!  

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great thanks Len!

Yes, that sorted the probelm in a second. 

Much appreciated for sharing.

Regards, Rock

London

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been running into the exact same issue. I just tried going to my fontbook, selecting the font or fonts that seem corrupt and replacing them withing my packed file, document fonts folder. This seemed to have done the trick. I am not sure why the font issue keeps reoccuring, but I am going to continue with this solution until I can find out the underlying issue. I hope this helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines