• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts appearing as goble-de-goop even when they are installed and working.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open files in InDesign the fonts, which I have installed and are working, appear as weird symbols. It looks like a foriegn language. When I try to replace by using Find Font it won't let me. The yellow warning symbol remains beside the font name even after finding the font and changing all. What is happening?

TOPICS
Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive had this issue, and havent seen a fix for it. Happens with original files, files that were packaged, same fonts across. Have to quit and reopen every time. SUPER annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screen shot of what is appearing on screen? Also what operating system and what version of InDesign are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pages.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's too small to be useful. (It might just be this forum though.)

But am I right in spotting the style field of your font is disabled? Did you get any messages about "missing fonts" or anything like that on opening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I get a missing fonts message. When I try to replace the fonts in find fonts it doesn't work. It does not replace them. These fonts are fonts I've used for years and they are loaded on my computer using FontBook. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will ask this because you said you are using font book.

have you been adding new fonts recently?

just wondering if you may have conflicts or corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I can see, this problem has not yet been resolved. I've been having the same issue with one of my fonts which worked completely fine using InDesign 2019. Ever since I updated to InDesign 2020 my Optima Bold font (which is a very standard font that I've had and used for years) has been giving me grief. Sometimes it works, often it doesn't.  I've noticed that if I keep trying to open the document, the problem seems to eventually sort itself out the font looks good again (until I want to open to work on the document again the next day). It's really random. There's no knowing how many times I have to try opening the file before the font looks the way it should. It's super annoying. Here's what it looks like:

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 5.03.18 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, I get this still from time to time have to close reopen non stop till it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines