• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts in InDesign

Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My colleagues and I have encountered a problem in InDesign that I hope someone can help us with.

We have a template that has an older font. We have now purchased more licenses which has been installed on one of my colleague’s PC. But, when she opens the template in InDesign, it says that the font does not exist. When we change to the newly installed font, the font does not show up. There are only two available choices to make (two weights). The old font is of True Type and the new OTF.

The font is installed correctly, and it can be seen and used in both Illustrator and Photoshop. We can see it in InDesign and can create new documents in the application with the new font but thus not use it in old templates.

If anyone has encountered this problem and knows how to solve it, we would be grateful for your help.

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you confirm the exact version of the opering system and the software you are using?

Can you also confirm:

• do you use a font management software (Fusion, Font Agent,...)
  • have you stored the new font in a folder called Fonts, stored in the same location as your InDesign document?
  • have you tried to export a IDML file and start woriking from that ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

She has Windows 10 Enterprise version 2004 and InDesign CC 2021 16.0.1 x64.

• She doesn't use any font managerment software
  • The fonts hare stored in th Font folder under Windows/Fonts. I know that you sometimes need to store the fonts in InDesign but in this version I can't find the folder for that.
  • Yes, I have saved the templet as an .idml file but it is the same results for her. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that you sometimes need to store the fonts in InDesign but in this version I can't find the folder for that.

Here is the location of the InDesign fonts folder:

fonts.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Barb,

I know that you sometimes need to store the fonts in InDesign but as you say, in this version there is no such folder. 😞

It doesn't look like your picture.  

/Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know whether it will help with the template, but you can create the Fonts folder at the path Barb showed and put a copy of the probematic font there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the folder Program files. Under C:\ I have one folder named Program and one named Program (x64). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AnnaME_0-1611144352718.png

AnnaME_1-1611144415300.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not an English version of Windows so you're in the right place. Open the Adobe InDesign 2021 folder and you'll find a fonts folder there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such folder as Adobe InDesign 2021 as you can see in the pictures above. 😞

Trust me I have looked for the font folder... more then one time. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there is. Ignore the icon and open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anna:

Please show us the contents of the Adobe InDesign 2021 folder.

AnnaME_1-1611144415300.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that's a folder, Barb. Looks like a shortcut to InDesign.exe.

BUT right-clicking on that and checking its Properties would reveal the path to the Adobe InDesign 2021 folder, wherever it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is most certainly a folder, John. The fact that it's identified with an ID icon seems to be throwing a whole lot of people off and I don't understand the resistance to double-clicking it to open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On behalf of Adobe, you will find the fonts directory for InDesign at the following location under Windows:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign 2021\Fonts

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,

The OP appears to be using a non-English version of Windows which may be throwing things off. That combined with the fact that the folders are not using the standard File Explorer icons are really confusing them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a “non-English” version of InDesign as well. If you put the full address specification into Windows Explorer it will get to the appropriate directory directly!  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. It looks like it's just program instead of program files in the OP's screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing by now that @AnnaME  has opened her Adobe InDesign 2021 folder and found the Fonts folder and has moved on.

As we chat amongst ourseleves, the mystery is why Windows uses a variety of folder icons—I have colorful folder icons for Ps and In but not Ai. But colorful or plain yellow, they are all folders, and double clicking opens all of them to reveal their contents. 

folder1.pngfolder2.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is absolutely not a matter of Windows. The applications themselves can set a directory or even a file to have a custom icon. And that is what some Adobe applications have chosen to do. The installer creates the directory and then changes its attribute to have a custom icon. Not my particular cup of tea, but probably an ego trip of some product marketing or engineer type!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for not late replay but I haven't been able to test this since my colleague was buzy and I am helping her with this. 

I'll try to get hold of her today. 

Thank you very much everybody for your time and help so far. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

The font are placed in the InDesign folder as well, they were installed there before I contacted you, but the problem is still not solved. My Windows and Adobe CC is in Swedish. 

Skärmavbild 2021-01-21 kl. 09.08.59.pngSkärmavbild 2021-01-21 kl. 09.09.48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is why I started to use a font management software,

I know it does suit every designer habits, setup, needs.

But (without advertising any brand in particular) it helped in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know that you could use a font management software on a PC. I do have one on my Mac thou. 

What can you reommend? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is always a BIG disagreement between the users of the major brands.

A quick Google search will return

• Extensis' Suitcase fusion (Windows and Apple Mac)
  • Insider Software's FontAgent Pro (Windows and Apple Mac)

I am not selling or advertising, receiving any comissions. I worked with both and really enjoyed the flexibility they offer. 

Be careful if you start a trial, they might move fonts and set plugins in your software that will be a bit of a pain to remove later if you change your ming. Always fully back up your system(s) before making this type of changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines