Fonts issue in Big Sur OS

Explorer ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Mac OS 11 Big sur

Issue in  postscript font

If I copy Postscript font from this MAC OS Big Sur and create a Zip file and move to other system, then I open the same font zip file in another system which has Mac OS 10.14.6 in local drive and unzip all postscript font shows correct size but the same file if I moved to our server and do Unzip font show 0KB 

I placed the video in wetransfer for your reference.

https://we.tl/t-tS4g8LZoYA

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop using Type 1 fonts. They're nothing but trouble and will stop working with InDesign in less than two years.

That out of the way, what you're seeing is a symptom of getting Windows in the mix with a Mac only font. Just another reason to stop using Type 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob

But this was not happens in Mac OC 10.14.6 font zip file. MAC OS 11 only creating this kind of problem. I need some conclusion it was issue in MAC OS 11  or some other issue.

Thanks

Ganesh.R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ganesh,

if your server is a Windows server you cannot retain PostScript type 1 fonts from Mac OS.

That's an old issue with the file format for PostScript Type 1 fonts on Mac that existed from day 1.

All the features are in the resource fork and not in the data fork of the files.

So never open the zip files on a Windows machine.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe

I am working in MAC OS only not PC. In my screen record video itself form Mac OS 10.14.6

Thanks

Ganesh.R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to that as you said we have windows server only. I understand that if I unzip the font in PC it shows 0 KB.  Previously we are working in 10.14.6 it was working fine no issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, then it seems that Mac OS 11 does not support the resource forks in zip files anymore.

What happens if you share the Type 1 fonts unzipped with a shared folder on Dropbox? Or if you transfer the Type 1 fonts unzipped with a removable USB drive or stick?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that will work in Dropbox, either. It's worth a try but I'm sticking with my initial advice. Stop using Type 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob

We are reducing the usage of type 1 font as you said it will come to end in Jan 2023. But we are using the Reprint titles and do archiving so we are facing this issue in MAC OS 11 alone.

Thanks

Ganesh.R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe

If I move the Type1 font without Unzip to my server no issue its working fine.

Thanks

Ganesh.R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ALL:

I updated my Stuffit Expander version 15 to ver 16  this issue has been fixed now. 

Thanks for your support and information

Regards

Ganesh.R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ganesh,

ok. You never mentioned Stuffit Expander.

That was it.

https://apps.apple.com/de/app/stuffit-expander-16/id919269455?mt=12

Version 16.2

M1 Mac Support with a Universal Binary

Big Sur Support

Regards,

Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

Still I have issue with Mac OS 11.1 please find the attached 2 screen shot. Same font folder from server but different OS.
I found the below statement from Appleinsider.com

The latest version of macOS, Big Sur, still supports Type 1 fonts on Intel and Apple Silicon machines. For now.

MacOS Big Sur_Font issues.pngMacOS high Sierra_PS font no issues.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

Any one come across the above issue in MAC OS 11.1 please let us know your thought.

Thanks

Ganesh.R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines