Highlighted

Fonts missing only in Indesign on Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last week all fonts in a document in InDesign went broke. They are all Adobe Fonts from Creative Cloud. But they aren't the only ones. Random fonts are between square brackets and don't work.

Everything works perfectly in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and XD and in other apps.

I have:

- tried to activate in Indesign missing fonts, but doesn't work (by the way they are already active)
- disintalled Adobe Indesign

- deactivated all font in the Creative Cloud and reactivate just what needed

- cleared Indesign preferences

- cleared font cache by terminal

Anything else to do? I can't substitute the missing fonts... I am desperate. Many thanks.

Topics

Bug, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Fonts missing only in Indesign on Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last week all fonts in a document in InDesign went broke. They are all Adobe Fonts from Creative Cloud. But they aren't the only ones. Random fonts are between square brackets and don't work.

Everything works perfectly in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and XD and in other apps.

I have:

- tried to activate in Indesign missing fonts, but doesn't work (by the way they are already active)
- disintalled Adobe Indesign

- deactivated all font in the Creative Cloud and reactivate just what needed

- cleared Indesign preferences

- cleared font cache by terminal

Anything else to do? I can't substitute the missing fonts... I am desperate. Many thanks.

Topics

Bug, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening in all documents or just one document? If it is just the one try exporting the file as an IDML and then open that in your current version of InDesign. This process can sometimes clean up corruption in a file. If the fonts are still not showing correctly try changing them to another font and then back to the first one (it's possible that clearing the corruption can fix the underlying problem but the fonts themselves may need to be reimported).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's happening in all the documents. At the beginning, I tried to export as an IDML file but nothing changed (the screenshot is from this one).

The problem is global to InDesign, for all existing documents and new ones.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only other troubleshooting process for InDesign that it looks like you haven't tried is to delete your InDesign Cache files (this is not the same as font caches).

To do so on a Mac:

The User Library folder in which InDesign’s cache files are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the “Caches” folder. Within the Caches folder find and delete the entire folder “Adobe InDesign”. I find that deleting the InDesign cache folder completely leads to a lasting change.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bill_Silbert.  I have just deleted the entire InDesign cache folder as you suggest, but fonts are still missing.

Here a screenshot from a new document trying to use Adelle that is activated in Adobe Fonts (no conflicts in Creative Cloud app) but still in square brackets.

Screenshot 2020-03-16 at 21.36.49.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since, as you say, the problem is with Adobe Fonts specifically (fonts which are not physically loaded on your computer) I think that you will need to contact Adobe Customer Care: https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html. I think that since this is Cloud related they would be your best bet for help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines