• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts not displaying in linked AI Files

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the last few days, I've had an issue where when I create a file in Illustrator using Adobe Fonts, and then place that AI file into an InDesign document for proofing or imposition, the text disappears.  

In one instance, I was able to make a PDF of the AI file and link that, and everything worked, but in another I had to outline the font, because both the PDF and AI did not work. It's not giving me a missing font error, it's simply not displaying any text whatsoever in those areas. I have updated to the most recent version of Illustrator but I am using InDesign 15.1.3 because of plugin compatibility.  I tried opening the InDesign file on both a different computer under the same account and a different account that is updated to 16.0.1, and both versions still did not show any text in the linked document. It seems to only be with Adobe Fonts and it's not all of them, but restarting my PC, signing in and out of Creative Cloud, and opening on different computers did not resolve the issue. 

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can suggest a couple of things ...

1) Export to PDF. While you can't embed Adobe Fonts in most program files, you can embed subsetted characters in PDFs. Fiddling with your PDF profiles, passing the file over as a PDF might get your way past the issue.

2) Opening Adobe Fonts within InDesign and accessing/opening your font(s) in question within the app manually. That may also get you past your issue, because while you may not be able to embed Adobe Fonts in .ai/.eps files, hopefully InDesign can hopefully at least reference them when you place your file in an InDesign document.

Pleas give these two tricks a try and let us know how it works out for you. Knowing what works, and what doesn't, will help us find you a more permanent solution to your issues. And, if you're lucky, give you a workaround to get you past your problems right now.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Randy,

Saving the file as a PDF did work in the meantime, but I had another instance this week where it did not.  InDesign is linked to Adobe Fonts and does show the same fonts as available in the list.  I have a lot of issues with Windows font cache on this PC, and I have to log in/out of CC and resync fonts in order to fix it, but this is an unconnected issue - that's why I tested the InDesign file on multiple PCs/accounts.

I will continue to save as PDFs for now, it's not a major issue just wondered if it was a known bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know about it. That makes it a known bug. And you've been kind enough to share it with us, so we know a bit more about it too.

But if you want to report it, this isn't the best place. Here's a link to Adobe's Bug Report Form. I'm sure they'll appreciate knowing ... and if they find it and fix it, they often offer a free annual subscription to you for identifying the bug they squash for you.

Good luck,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which fonts in Adobe Fonts are causing an issue?

Some fonts do not allow embedding in PDFs - and in InDesign, it shows the underlying PDF in the layout rather than the AI file for output. 

Let us know what Adobe Fonts are troublesome and we can check it out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All fonts available from the Adobe Fonts service are indeed embeddable within PDF files.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines