• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts won't visibly load, but preflight is green. Close the doc and reopen - fonts work again.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

We have a few production machines running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and they were recently updated to InDesign 15.1 for testing. This bug appears to be random...

When a document is open, none of the fonts will visibly load (text is a mess with the red tint behind it all), but when you go to Type > Find/Replace it shows there are no font issues. Preflight is green and it all fonts listed are "OK".  Now the interesting thing is if you immediately close the document and reopen it everything looks absolutly fine.  When the same document is opened hours later the problem repeats itself.

I should also note we do not use Adobe fonts.  Fonts are either loaded into Font Book, and/or they are loaded from the Document Fonts folder.  The document I've been using for testing was created in 2019, and now we are making changes to it.

Things I've tried:

Clearing font caches in macOS

Clearing the macOS Library Caches

Deleting the AdobeFnt.lst file in the Documents fonts folder

Repackaging the job

Turning off the Adobe Fonts service located in the Creative Cloud app

I was able to replicate this bug by dragging the Documents fonts folder elsewhere, open the document, then close it.  Then I move the Document Fonts folder back where it belongs.  Open the document again and the fonts don't load and preflight says everything is fine. We did not encounter this bug until 15.1.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Hi Michael,

so the fact that the fonts are also installed in the system, not only are present in Document fonts folder, are pointing to a bug, I think. You should report exactly that at InDesign uservoice:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

could you check another thing: If the fonts in the Document fonts folder are also installed with the system.

Could be a hint for a bug perhaps, if that's true.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

The fonts that are in the Document Fonts folder are also installed with the system. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"…if you immediately close the document and reopen it everything looks absolutly fine.  When the same document is opened hours later the problem repeats itself."

We have had this problem on our Macs for some time – for a couple of versions of InDesign. I'd always put it down to our font management software being slow to activate the font (we use Suitcase), but I guess InDesign is playing a part in the issue.

It is quickest to do what you say – open a file, close it then re-open the file. Fonts will always be loaded on re-opening the file. However, in our case we also find that if we just leave the file for a while the fonts will eventually activate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We havn't used a font management program like Suitecase Fusion for a few years now. We rely on Apple's Font Book for loading fonts. Up until this recent update, it was a non-issue.  I'll try leaving the document open for awhile to see if the fonts eventally activate.

Update: Left the document open for a few hours and the fonts did not reactivate on their own. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something else that often works to trigger the fonts to load for me is to place the cursor in the middle of the text and just type a character, or space. That usually triggers that particular text block's font to load. Sometimes it triggers all the fonts in the document to load, but most times it just fixes the individual text block.

This may or may not help with troubleshooting the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

so the fact that the fonts are also installed in the system, not only are present in Document fonts folder, are pointing to a bug, I think. You should report exactly that at InDesign uservoice:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the link!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines