• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Footnote numbering

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 12 page document. In pages 1-4 and 6-12 there are a series of threaded text boxes with footnotes. These number from 1 - 45. However on page 5 there is a box with additional text with another 5 footnotes. These number from 1-5. I would like to incorporate them into the number scheme of the whole document. So effectively 1-50.

I tried resetting the start number via footnote options but this simply renumbers both sets of footnotes.

I've tried creating sections but this simply resets the count twice - on p5 and again on p6

Appreciate any help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can't really be done in InDesign with proper footnotes.

There's a weird bug that if you copy footnotes from Word to InDesign (say 100 footnotes), paste them into a bunch of text frames, then break the link between the frames, the numbering in the new frame will stay what it was even though it's a new story...

But this is an unstable configuration, and it's not meant to work. I would avoid it.

The only workaround is to thread the frames together. And in fact, why not do that?

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying!! The reason I haven't done that is that the text does indeed flow from page 4 to 6 so the threading is appropriate. However the text on p5 is separate. So maybe I've misunderstood your suggestion but I don't think thus would work??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying!! The reason I haven't done that is that the text does indeed flow from page 4 to 6 so the threading is appropriate. However the text on p5 is separate. So maybe I've misunderstood your suggestion but I don't think thus would work??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adrian:

Just thread that extra frame into the existing thread. You can use frame breaks to restore the original look.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Barb, this doesn't (seem to) work if you want to link to a table. InDesign crashed when I tried it! Another fail :O(
Where is the option to select a footnote and assign is a 'number' and have all subsequent footnote run on from there? So you can just override the superscript and crack on!

I guess I do a really complicated 'looks like a table but I did it with offset rules' but tricky and shouldn't be neccessary.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines