Highlighted

Footnote reference problem

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a problem with the footnote reference. It shows me that the superscript at the end of the paragraph doesn't have the font as the text has so the footnote reference is a small red-ish selection of an box with an inside.

Capture.PNG

I tried using paragraph styles and changing the font, but it doesn't work. Also, I found nothing helpful to Document Footnote Option box.

The other problem is that because the footnote reference is 'missing' or 'unknown', the text at the bottom of the page it jumps to another footnote number and makes a mess down there.

The only option for this is to do it manualy or is it there another way?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Footnote reference problem

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a problem with the footnote reference. It shows me that the superscript at the end of the paragraph doesn't have the font as the text has so the footnote reference is a small red-ish selection of an box with an inside.

Capture.PNG

I tried using paragraph styles and changing the font, but it doesn't work. Also, I found nothing helpful to Document Footnote Option box.

The other problem is that because the footnote reference is 'missing' or 'unknown', the text at the bottom of the page it jumps to another footnote number and makes a mess down there.

The only option for this is to do it manualy or is it there another way?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 13, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ovidiub47969792:

Did you get this figured out yet? There's a lot going on with this question, so are you able to share a page or two of the file that has these issues so that I can take a look? You can put it on dropbox or other file sharing drive and post a link here (public) or hover over my name above and message me directly (private).

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2019 0
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its about missing fonts, just go to type > find fonts and replace it with something else.

also it might a glyphs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 0
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ovidiub47969792 ,

is this issue really about a missing font, only?

Your footnote's text for that particular footnote will be missing.

How about other footnote reference numbers?

How are they formatted? With a different font?

Why do they work if they are formatted all the same?

Regards,
Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check what Unicode that character is. If it is U+FFFE, then this is a long-standing import error by InDesign.

ovidiub47969792  wrote

That would indeed be another symptom. Instead of that footnote, InDesign inserted a dummy character, and the correct footnote text goes into the next one -- all the way up to the end.

You forgot to mention what version of ID you are working with, but it must be a pretty old one. I think the footnote import problems disappeared around the first CC (2014 or so).

If you don't have a modern InDesign, you can pretty much throw away your current document and see what happens when importing it again. Sometimes this error is a fluke and the next time around it goes well. Other times you need to open the original document and save-as-new using Word (just like an InDesign document, the contents of a docx file can get messy), or save-as RTF, which also works sometimes.

Those 3 or 4 "sometimes" before you even can know if any of those fixes work have always bothered me, so in my old workflow I always converted all footnotes to endnotes, imported the text into InDesign, and then converted the endnotes back to footnotes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a solution? I am having same problem with Indd 2020.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 0