Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

footnote styling question

Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi designer friends:

If some text has a superscript footnote and that text is italicized, is the superscript number italicized as well? Basically, does the style of the superscript number follow the style of the text in which its placed?

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

I would say that footnotes should NOT be italicized. If possible, I'd re-write the footnote text so that it doesn't begin with italics.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor , Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

I would not italicise the footnote number (in the body or in the footnote) even if the text referred to is. Neither would I use bold for the footnote number if the word in the text is in bold.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say that footnotes should NOT be italicized. If possible, I'd re-write the footnote text so that it doesn't begin with italics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not italicise the footnote number (in the body or in the footnote) even if the text referred to is. Neither would I use bold for the footnote number if the word in the text is in bold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, folks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines