• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Footnotes: can these be set in a book's Style Source?

Advocate ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to set footnote styles that can be applied in a book's Style Source so that it inherits things like its Rule.

However, though I can save and apply paragraph and type styles, I haven't found a way to adjust footnotes across documents from the Style Source.

Is there a way to do this?
Also... I'm trying to figure out a way to have a bit more control over the appearance and typography, specifically, adjusting the space above the rule... can't quite figure this one out either. Probably just missing it...

Any help appreciated!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Hi Turner:

You can set the space above the rule with Type > Document Footnote Options > Layout > Minimum Space Before 1st Footnote. Notice this is a minimum amount of space—if you need a consistent amount of space, I would define a baseline grid and be sure both body text and the first line of the footnotes are on the grid.

Oddly, I don't see any way to sync the footnote settings across a book. 😞

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked at Type > Document Footnote Options > and seen the various footnote controls within the 2 tabs: Numbering and Formatting and Layout? Here is where you adjust the traditional horizontal rule over the footnotes.

If your main document has a Footnotes paragraph style set up; the Book panel can help that style be propagated across the other documents within the overview of the Book panel.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike - yes, I've done that. I guess I was expecting more typographic control... 

I have a Footnotes style set up (a few, actually), which update fine, but the Footnote Options don't seem to carry across synced documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Turner:

You can set the space above the rule with Type > Document Footnote Options > Layout > Minimum Space Before 1st Footnote. Notice this is a minimum amount of space—if you need a consistent amount of space, I would define a baseline grid and be sure both body text and the first line of the footnotes are on the grid.

Oddly, I don't see any way to sync the footnote settings across a book. 😞

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb!
Bummer about syncing. Surprising, actually... looks like I might have to find a workaround.
I'm also finding that footnote indicators don't show up in search! Yikes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi turner111,

you also have to care of the footnote start number in every single InDesign document of your book file.

Another thing that is crying for automation!

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And we did not talk about endnotes yet…

( sigh! )

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol.... haven't gotten to those yet, but I will 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also finding that footnote indicators don't show up in search! Yikes.

Are you trying to locate the footnotes via the Find/Change dialog box? Use the Text tab and ^F. (Or GREP tab, and ~F)

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb-

Yes, trying to search via Find/Change. Where to I add the ^F ?

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit > Find/Change:

fc.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a 2010 thread "Synchronising Footnote Options" over on InDesign Secrets with a Javascript that Jongware wrote and explains for copying the footnote options from one ID file to another. He updated the link in 2016 and it still works -- as does the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines