Footnotes causing InDesign to crash

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a large document (80ish pages) that has over 500 footnotes. I got to styling the 50th page and my ID now just crashes when I try to do anything. There are not a large amount of large images - just 4 on chapter page openers. Just a lot of text, tables and footnotes. I am almost positive it is because of the footnotes. Is there anyway to bring in text and style and 'hide' the footnotes? And bring them back in after it is styled? I work on this every year and this particular version of ID seems to be struggling worse than ever. Help!! I need to get this report done and I can't get past page 56.

I have also done all the tips to speed up ID to no avail - turn off pages preview, live drawing, preflight, typical pic view, etc.

THANKS!

TOPICS
How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Footnotes causing InDesign to crash

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a large document (80ish pages) that has over 500 footnotes. I got to styling the 50th page and my ID now just crashes when I try to do anything. There are not a large amount of large images - just 4 on chapter page openers. Just a lot of text, tables and footnotes. I am almost positive it is because of the footnotes. Is there anyway to bring in text and style and 'hide' the footnotes? And bring them back in after it is styled? I work on this every year and this particular version of ID seems to be struggling worse than ever. Help!! I need to get this report done and I can't get past page 56.

I have also done all the tips to speed up ID to no avail - turn off pages preview, live drawing, preflight, typical pic view, etc.

THANKS!

TOPICS
How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 13, 2021 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much RAM, btw, and tell us about your versions and OS? Big documents need more RAM and a very well-maintained OS.

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2021 0
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest version of Adobe, Mojave, on a macbook pro, 16G RAM, 2.9 GHz processor. The actual file is only 11.8 MB.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2021 0
Participant ,
Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest:

Start each major section with a paragraph style that starts on a new page. Just set Keep Options > Start Paragraph > On Next Page.

Avoid "balance columns" in your text frames unless you really need it on a specific page.

Break your big document into separate InDesign "stories" (sections) using:

https://github.com/Id-Extras/Break-Text-Thread and using your major section header paragraph style as the marker for where to split the text into "stories." https://creativepro.com/how-to-install-scripts-in-indesign/ 

And if your main text frames use columns, consider having footnotes not span columns.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2021 0