• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Footnotes + Endnotes in EPUB?

Enthusiast ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hurrah for the new ID endnotes feature! But what happens in EPUB exports when a book has both endnotes and footnotes? Is that doable? Or do I need to combine them into one set of notes? And if the latter, does it matter whether they're all endnotes or all footnotes?

Thanks!

~Valerie

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Welp, this project finally made its way back to the top of my to-do list, so I can now report back on how it worked. The footnotes work like footnotes should. The endnotes, alas, work like plain text -- the reference number is there, but it does not link to the note. So...bummer. Lotsa extra work needed to convert all ~600 of them back to footnotes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you asking about Reflowable EPUB or Fixed Layout EPUB? EPUB 2 or EPUB 3? The answers are probably different depending on which you're talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reflowable, EPUB 3. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump. Anybody got anything on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems not to be something the regulars who visit here know about.

Did you try doing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not yet. I was hoping to get some advice first. But since there doesn't appear to be any, I shall blaze my own trail and report back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welp, this project finally made its way back to the top of my to-do list, so I can now report back on how it worked. The footnotes work like footnotes should. The endnotes, alas, work like plain text -- the reference number is there, but it does not link to the note. So...bummer. Lotsa extra work needed to convert all ~600 of them back to footnotes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have tested the new feature endnotes, but the links didn't work in epub files, when you divide the indd files by export. Because the link <a href> don't get all path from file, only the anchor #.

But regular footnotes from Indd works as endnotes, because always goes to the end of chapter. If you want all the notes at the end of eBook, you export without divide the file, then all footnotes goes at the end.

Open the epub in Sigil and divide the chapter from Menu Edit > Split at cursor. This way is possible keep the links working

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Currently in CC2018 (but assuming it doesn't work in the newer versions either since I seen no posts with  a solution.)

I made my file all one document, set NOT to split on export, and changed the file to all  one section with all arabic numbers (of course they don't print). On export to EPUB 3 the first endnote links properly back and forth. All other notes don't link—the note number in the text links back to page 1 of the document. The numbers are not visible at the start of each note in the back of the book (except for the first note). 

This is the same exact behavior I had when the document was set to split on export and the front matter was a separate section (numbered i, ii, iv etc.). So no solution to this thorny issue. I guess the next thing I can try is to hand convert* (?) all bazillion endnotes back to foot notes (and adjust the layout accordingly as needed when my pictures shift around and fix all the resulting oversets...). Though I guess this may all adversely affect the index, currently functions in the ebook but the page numbers mean nothing of course. 

*Is there a way to convert endnotes back to footnotes with having to copy paste each one? (One that definitely works when exported to EPUB.)

Arrrgh. And, eating all this since I told the client it would work.

Note: I have had footnotes work properly in EPUB, but not endnotes. Seems like they should have tested this before telling us it worked? Amended to say it does sorta work, with caveats. See my reply below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I did recently buy a new Mac so I could run ID CC2020 (and if I'm being honest so I could run bootcamp and play more games).

I don't like changing horses midstream though, so I was trying to finish my current jobs in the version they started in. (Still seems prudent to me.)

But, I made a copy of my document to try doing a blanket convert of Endnotes to Footnotes in ID CC2020. Happily, that DID work, but caused all sorts of overset text, etc. I knew it would. But I did a quick EPUB test conversion and it seemed like it worked, even the overset text was there (I hadn't fixed it yet in the document.) 

But, you knew there was a but, it messed up the index. It seemed like the index wouldn't link to anything that was in overset text. So I added pages and fixed all the overset. Reconverted, but that didn't fix it. I had to regenerate the index, and then fix all the format issues that are inherent with indexes in InDD. Then reconvert, and that seems to mostly have fixed the linking issue—not totally—there does seem to still be some linking issues. But we're a lot closer—and maybe just good enough. In the kindle previewer it seems to have trouble with linking when there is a page range, but links pretty reliably to a single page reference. Anyway, at least I didn't have to redo manually all those footnotes!

I did notice that in iBooks (or Apple Books) that the URLs would not work from within the footnote popup, but they did work from ID and also from the Kindle Previewer version. Strange.

Now, does anybody know how to install Pagina's epubcheck on a Mac in OS Catalina? Holy mloy, what a pain. Lucky I still have my OLD mac and can test there for a while longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Did you ever figure out what was causing only the first endnote number to appear in your endnotes? Because I'm seeing the same problem in a book I am working on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nope. Adobe points at Amazon who points back, and Apple ignores them both. Nobody plays well together and has no interest in their constituents. Sorta like congress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines