Highlighted

Footnotes restarting instead of autonumbering

Participant ,
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My footnotes inside text boxes are autonumbering, but they are restarting  (at 1) in later points of the document.   In Footnote Options, the "Restart Numbering Every" box is unchecked.   How do I get the footnote to continue from the ones in the text boxes earlier in the document?

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Footnotes restarting instead of autonumbering

Participant ,
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My footnotes inside text boxes are autonumbering, but they are restarting  (at 1) in later points of the document.   In Footnote Options, the "Restart Numbering Every" box is unchecked.   How do I get the footnote to continue from the ones in the text boxes earlier in the document?

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Buzz81,

you have to thread the text frames where you want to continue footnote numbering.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried manually changing the footnote in the later frame to 3, but this changed the earlier footnote numbers.  If the frames were not threaded, would't the prior footnotes have been unaffected?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

first check what you did in Footnote Preferences for the document. What's the scope there for restart numbering?

Is it Page, Spread or Section?

EDITED: I was wrong on that:

( Where Section actually means Story. )

Oh. And avoid to manually change footnote numbering at any cost.

If you already did that better remove the old footnote and add a new one.

( You could copy the footnote text before that. )

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Buzz81,

let's sort this out:

If you did not select anything with "Restart Numbering Every" the footnote numbering will restart with every story.

A story can contain one or more threaded text frames or text paths.

For a story that is threaded through several pages:

Set "Restart Numbering Every" to Page if you want to reset numbering every page.

Set "Restart Numbering Every" to Spread if you want to reset numbering every spread.

Set "Restart Numbering Every" to Section if you want to reset numbering every page section.

A page section is indicated in the Pages panel with a little triangle at the top of the page thumbnail.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

thanks for the great explanation!

However I have a similar problem that I can't solve: Within a single threaded story in one document that is defined as a single chapter my footnotes "randomly" reset at one point with no way of changing it, except manually. It bugs me out so hard as I could really use the time for finishing my thesis. Maybe you can help me out

I checked/tried:

• Page sections by applying weird Prefixes and putting them in the page numbers: The whole doc is defined as one single section.
  • Footnote options:
    • I tried "Restart every section" after checking the whole document was one section - to no avail.
    • I tried "do not restart" (unchecking any options) to no avail.
  • Synching Book & Crossreferences
  • probably every other trick in the book

The image shows my footnote options (German) as well as the pages with no section triangle to the right. What the hell am I overlooking? It is killing me ...

adobe01.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi moegerbyte,

I think that the problem is:

That text frame is not threaded to the last text frame of the story ( Textabschnitt ) before.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - you were right about that!

I had my thesis organized in several ID-Files, because I have a very image-heavy topic and wasn't aware of the "story"-feature until some more research - despites being a superficial ID-user for several years now...

I solved the issue by re-organizing the complete "book" by moving all the pages from all other documents into the first "Chapter".indd, which actually only took a few minutes. I then anchored all my images into the text and threaded all single text frames (and the ones that were already partially linked in a "short story") together. The contiuous numbering of footnotes now works fine (re-inspect the settings: Tick off the "start at 1 with every section", as importing all pages from other documents might create sections automatically!).
Actually the overall workload was not too bad.

I just think the "book" feature is sort of misleading, since it will not at all help you make a book. Especially if basic tasks (like correct numbering of stuff) can't be continuous throughout the book at all. Unless you work on a "book" in a team this feature is pretty much useless. I could really help spreading content into smaller sections for very large publications, if it were more functional.

Thanks anyway for your help, I hope someone can pick up on my solution of the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines