Footnotes

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I force the head footnotes to show up at the bottom of the page. (see attached jpg) I can't create separate text boxes, this is part of a 300+ page textbook. I can't create pdfs and put them over the existing text, there are far to many to jury-rig it that way. thanks!

Footnote sample.jpg

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi deanna_Estes_2,

can you show the whole page and the previous page as well?

With frame edges and invisible characters showing?

I like to see if there is any text before the headline and if all the text you are showing is in one single text frame with two columns or one text frame with one column. Also what are the exact values of the headline paragraph with Span Columns or Split Columns with applied paragraph style.

Could be that there is no solution, only a workaround:

That workaround would be that you add the footnotes to the main text below the headline where the footnote numbers are visually invisible and the two footnote numbers in your headline are no footnote numbers, but simple, orinary numbers in the text.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. If you designed that with e.g. three different text frames, you need to put all the text in one single text frame.

FWIW: Even then we perhaps need some tricks to make it work.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Uwe says, this takes three separate columns, plus trickery. The title gets dummy numbers that do not connect to anything. The first ftnt in the first text column is set to be number 399. I then added two lines at the start of ftnt 399, where I typed in the two dummy notes 397 and 398. I will try to illustrate this old-school [CS6] workaround with a screen shot.MulticolumnFtnt.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines