• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Formatting not staying when pasting

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am copying pages from one InDesign document to another InDesign document, but the formatting of the text does not transfer 100%. Most of it will be correct, but little things will be off, like certain words become 9pt instead of 12pt, or one paragraph becomes Minion Pro instead of Lato. I am using the most updated version of InDesign. I do not have any paragraph styles applied in the new document that I am pasting into that I aware of. I also tried going into Preferences > Clipboard Handling and selecting "All information" when pasting text and tables from other applications.

A PDF example of the issue is attached.

Is this a bug or does anyone have thoughts on how to fix this?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have any paragraph styles applied in the new document that I am pasting into that I aware of.

You DO have paragraph style, at least one: the basic paragraph style (unless you “unlinked” the style) and if the basic paragraph style of the target document is different than the one in the source file, the text – once pasted in the target document – get formatted with a style which has the same name but which is different.

Never use the basic parahraph style, never…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have any paragraph styles applied in the new document that I am pasting into that I aware of

With the text selected in the source document you are copying from check the Paragraph Styles panel—make sure no styles are highlighted. Here the text has the default [Basic Paragraph] applied. If I copy this text and paste it into a document where the [Basic Paragraph] has different properties the text will change:

Screen Shot 20.png

If you really don’t want to use styles, select all of the text and choose Break Link to Style from the Paragraph Styles flyout. Then when you copy and paste there will be no changes:

Screen Shot 21.png

Screen Shot 22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>  I do not have any paragraph styles applied in the new document 

Who stops you to do paragraph styles and apply it? Not using styles is a marker that you are newbie. No offence. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is what a lot of people are talking about https://creativepro.com/beware-basic-styles/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines