Formatting Problems on Indesign IDML File

Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I'm trying to save an .indd file as an .idml file as well, for someone with an older version of Indesign. When I reopen the .idml file to check it, formatting across the file has changed -- all elements on each right-hand page of a spread have been bumped up on the page across this 100+ page doc. I've tried saving a copy as an .idml file, using save as to save the .idml, and exporting as .idml. I've also closed Indesign and reopened/resaved the file. The original .indd file looks fine. Does anyone have any tips? Please and thank you.

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Formatting Problems on Indesign IDML File

Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I'm trying to save an .indd file as an .idml file as well, for someone with an older version of Indesign. When I reopen the .idml file to check it, formatting across the file has changed -- all elements on each right-hand page of a spread have been bumped up on the page across this 100+ page doc. I've tried saving a copy as an .idml file, using save as to save the .idml, and exporting as .idml. I've also closed Indesign and reopened/resaved the file. The original .indd file looks fine. Does anyone have any tips? Please and thank you.

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 07, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you (both) using (exactly) the same font and are they OTFs?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2020 0
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response!

Since initially opening the .indd file that I've been working on, I haven't changed any of the font my colleague used. You're right -- the font is not OpenType and it's not a font that I have. This didn't seem to create any issues with the Indesign file, but I do receive a message when opening the .idml file saying that it will substitute the missing fonts with default fonts. Could this be the problem? The confusing thing is that it also changed the position of other elements -- such as guidelines, rectangles, columns -- on the right-hand pages.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems likely.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version are you using? What version are they using?

Save as and export are identical so that's not it.

As Derek already mentioned fonts could be an issue especially if you're using a document fonts folder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2020 0